PDA

View Full Version : new uke restoration job

Strummin simon
02-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Hi guys,

the latest uke restoration job is now up on my blog, for those interested, its an old English Banjo Uke.

info is here

http://ukulelerestorationbarn.blogspot.com/2012/01/best-repair-job-yet.html

sorry i am not able to post pictures direct on here

comments gladly accepted

Pete Beardsley
02-02-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm assuming you weren't actually using it to bake a cake on the stove top! :D You'd need to put it in the oven for that. (Sorry couldn't help myself!)
On a less flippant note, it looks pretty nice. How did you repair the damage at the end of the fretboard near the body joint? And what did you re-finish the fretboard with?

ukeeku
02-02-2012, 04:58 AM
did you take a 6 hook and make it a 10 hook? If so good job. Looks great. a new head is a bear to do, all looks perfect.

Strummin simon
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
thanks fellas,

i filled the fretboard with wood filler, replaced the frets. then painted the fretboard.

the head has extra hooks attached. it did have 6, i bought new ones, and just drilled holes to make it a 10 hook job!

then the whole thing was stripped down, sanded and finished with coats of Tru-oil.

Hippie Dribble
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
wow Simon, fabulous job mate. Looks awesome+++. Give us a sound bite when you get a chance...

mm stan
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Nice Job...something to be proud of...Wow

Strummin simon
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
its already been sent back to its owner.

the sound was as you would expect. very LOUD![/SIZE]

Pete Beardsley
02-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the info Simon. Lovely job.

Strummin simon
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
quick update.

The owner received the uke...very excited.

opened the box to find it the neck smashed in half.

this uke hasnt just been dropped, its totally destroyed.

thanks alot Hermes

Pete Beardsley
02-06-2012, 02:36 AM
That sucks! I really do hate the cavalier attitude of couriers. Is it repairable or will it be left to rest peacefully?

Strummin simon
02-06-2012, 04:09 AM
luckily enough i actually have another neck from the same make of uke in my spares cupboard.

the owner is prepared to pay for another 2 lots of postage. i am going to provide, and fit the neck for free.

it was too much of a job to give up on it, and the uke had sentimental value too.

before anyone tells me...yes from now on i will only send packages insured for their full value.
thanks again Hermes. the 20 compo really helps.