PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else keep a Uke at work?

Ukuleledad
02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
I keep a Kala Soprano Travel Uke at work - very useful at lunch break! Does anyone else have a 'WorkUke'?

JT_Ukes
02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I keep a Kala Soprano Travel Uke at work - very useful at lunch break! Does anyone else have a 'WorkUke'?

Keep my Flea in the car for lunch time strumming...

Bob Bledsoe
02-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I just finished work on a film where I brought my uke to set every day... If I'm working a writing project I have my uke near by. I say its because it helps with creativity, but it's really just a great procrastination.

Ted4
02-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't have a 'work' uke, but I do have a 'bed' uke. She's a cute like pink Dolphin fitted out with a pink nightie and stockings..... errh...oops...I'll get my coat!

gyosh
02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I keep a Kala spruce top tenor for myself, a cracked Komoa mahogany pineapple soprano and an assortment of Mahalo's in my classroom for kids to use if they want.

strumsilly
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
yep, but I work from home, does that count?

PedalFreak
02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
I work in a guitar store, we have Fleas, Flukes, Kala, Luna, Recording King, Martin, and a couple new brands on the way :D So I've always got ukes around.

Deaks
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I work in residential care supporting adults with learning dissabilities and often take my little mahalo in to play for the clients. With one young man in particular who doesn't have any speech, if I stop playing he simply reaches over and puts my hand back on the strings.

chrimess
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
... I keep an Anaole soprano at my desk to soothe the Saul in me on any given workday when emotions flare up...

Doc_J
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Yep, my Tiki Mug Fluke lives in my office on a wall hanger. It has survived many 20% to 80% humidity changes. This is the only uke I have that I would subject to those conditions.

haolejohn
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Let's see...

5 mainland concerts (1 red cedar and 4 mahog)
4 mainland sopranos (all red cedars)
3 dolphins

and sometimes I bring one of my nice ukes (but only on Wednesday or special occasions).

franck3d
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I have mine hanging on the wall next to my desk.
I just got finished telling my client for the day how it's tuned (he's a guitar player).
I usually grab it and play during my lunch break.

Hippie Dribble
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
yeah, I usually keep one in the office for those moments of inspiration...

bdukes
02-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Now we know... and what's up for discussion at book club.

TMI. :)

BTW, I keep a Hibiscus Fluke at work.

BasicUke
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I work in a guitar store, we have Fleas, Flukes, Kala, Luna, Recording King, Martin, and a couple new brands on the way :D So I've always got ukes around.

Okay, I'm Jealous!

uke4ia
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
I have a little 4-string thing maybe 8 inches long hung on my cubicle wall as a decoration. I found it at a party favor store. The four strings are all the same thickness, so it's not useful to play.

I used to bring my Fluke sometimes in the summer and play on a picnic table outside during lunch. But then a co-worker started practicing his bagpipe out there at the same time, and I couldn't hear myself play anymore. I can understand why his wife prefers him to practice at work instead of at home.

kaizersoza
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
i do sometimes but not always, i used to leave my dolphin in work and practice in my dinner break

MGM
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I usually keep a few hundred around me at all times at work or I start to Get withdrawal symptoms. Lol

Nickie
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes I do. I am a Hospice nurse, as many of you know, and I drag it around with me every day and do music therapy for my patients, families, (and me). So far, they love it!

SailingUke
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
There was a thread awhile back about bathroom ukes.
Surely anyone who keeps a uke in the bathroom has one in the workplace as well.

Chopped Liver
02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Not yet, but I am getting ready to order a dolphin for my classroom use. But those little boogers better not touch it!!! Uh, I mean .... MAYBE I'll think about letting them SEE it ..... :p

Susie A
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Why, yes I do. It sits on my desk by my monitor. The guy in the cube next to mine has a mini drum set on his desk. On Fridays we have Fun Friday and play a tune or two. :)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300669_10150379968442363_504317362_10177430_162574 1656_n.jpg

Nickie
02-02-2012, 12:09 PM
You do realize, don't you, that you will probably have to get them ALL dolphins if they see it...

Not yet, but I am getting ready to order a dolphin for my classroom use. But those little boogers better not touch it!!! Uh, I mean .... MAYBE I'll think about letting them SEE it ..... :p

Kem
02-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I keep my Eleuke Peanut in my office. Occasionally, people walk by and see me playing it (with the headphones), and they laugh at me.

Papa Tom
02-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I think the proper term is a "work-a-lele." Anyway, I've kept an inexpensive Lanikai at work for periods of time. My initial fantasy of a bunch of great lunchtime jams never materialized, though, so I tend to lose interest after a few days. If I can get my hands on one of those plastic Disney ukes at Toys R Us for less than the $24.99 sticker price, I might leave it at work one of these days. That way, I could eliminate the stress of worrying about it getting stolen - and still have a work uke that is playable.

haolejohn
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

what grade? I teach 3rd and I have no problem with them touching mine. They are careful but I did have one of the dolphins knocked off a desk and then kicked (accident but clumsy boys:)) and it survived with just a chipped paint scar.

Ronnie Aloha
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Since I work at home...

misterpk
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
My old boss left the company and gave me his soprano Kala. Makes it so I don't have to bring one in from home. :)

connor013
02-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Brilliant! I just appropriated your pic for my desktop. My wife is going to l o v e me in the morning.

TCK
02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I am up to five (I own) in my classroom, and two that come to visit constantly. Today was a great day...we moved from "Hey Soul Sister" and Ingrid Michaelson during the recess jam to far better territory. The kids all sat down on the tables, grabbed the ukes and started strumming a new tune...
It was as if angels were in the room.
Hallelujah!

siauke
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Yep -- just bought a Kala travel tenor to keep at work. Strum a little and do scales while thinking about cases. Great inspiration.

kennymelodica
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
SURE DO!!! (and a melodica too!)

kapahulu50
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Yup- keep a kala travel concert with me on trips to mainland, also very useful during rush hour on H-1

MadMatt
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Yup! I work at home so that means I have my Kanile'a and Dolphin (and 4 Basses) just a few feet from my desk. ;)

There is nothing like muting the line a running though a few cords when a conference call gets boring. :rolleyes:

-M@

MisterRios
02-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I was just thinking I should get one for my office, but no one here actually knows that I play so I'd first have to prepare them. Am thinking of a Dolphin for work, or just getting another good uke for home and bringing in my old Kala Pineapple for work...

micromue
02-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I keep a flea on my desk for alltime access. Saves me a lot of nerves.

drbekken
02-03-2012, 12:57 AM
In addition to freelancing, I teach piano at the local music school. I always bring a ukulele, to jam with the kids, or just play a little if one of the students is absent. I have played the piano since age six, so in the words of the immortal Artur Rubinstein; "I already practised" when it comes to that instrument. The ukulele, on the other hand is also a travel companion. If I'm traveling to gigs and have to stay by myself in hotels, playing the uke in the room is healthier than hanging in the bar too much...

Lalz
02-03-2012, 01:10 AM
I don't keep one at work because they switch the heating off at night, but I do bring one in regularly for when we head off to afterwork uke session at the pub. We're 3 uke players out of 12 people sharing the same work area, and between us we have about 8 ukes. Spontaneous strumming out of the blue during office hours isn't an uncommon occurrence haha.

mr moonlight
02-03-2012, 04:58 AM
I usually work from home but carry one with me when traveling. So I pretty much have one wherever I go.

Chap
02-03-2012, 05:18 AM
I keep an Eleuke at work, and play it un-amped when I need that 2:30 break.

bdukes
02-03-2012, 06:27 AM
In addition to freelancing, I teach piano at the local music school. I always bring a ukulele, to jam with the kids, or just play a little if one of the students is absent. I have played the piano since age six, so in the words of the immortal Artur Rubinstein; "I already practised" when it comes to that instrument. The ukulele, on the other hand is also a travel companion. If I'm traveling to gigs and have to stay by myself in hotels, playing the uke in the room is healthier than hanging in the bar too much...

If only hanging out in a bar too much were considered practice... I'd be a virtuoso.

Ahhh, more poor decisions attributed to youth...

bbycrts
02-03-2012, 07:35 AM
My Eleuke Peanut is my at-work companion.

Manderino
02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I got a Dolphin just to keep at work. I made a little wall hanger for it and everything.

Sporin
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I work at home, ukes are hung on the wall next to my desk. :)

mds725
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I keep a tenor Flea in my office. In addition, my Kamaka tenor spends a lot of time in my office because I have ukulele classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and I go to those classes directly from my office.

RyanMFT
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I keep my Washburn/Oscar Schmidt OU5 at my office. I work at a university and sometimes see students with ukuleles. I always stop and play a song with them. Recently met a student who had his ukulele for only four days. Showed him some things and he asked if we could jam sometime at lunch....which sounds great to me.

uke4ia
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/170416/late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-office-ukulele

If you keep a ukulele at work, you have to keep this in mind.

fitncrafty
02-03-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/170416/late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-office-ukulele

If you keep a ukulele at work, you have to keep this in mind.

That's funny!! I don't have a job but if I didn't I would have a uke there!!

Hippie Dribble
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
That's funny!! I don't have a job but if I didn't I would have a uke there!!
hang on Carrie, being fit AND crafty is a full time job in my book! (Not to mention running the house) he he :)

Mim
02-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes! I keep like 300ish ukes at work!

(Sorry, I know I dont count, but I could not help myself :P)

greyghost
02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm a professor, so I don't have a lot of boss-looking-over-my-shoulder worries. My students have learned that when they come to see me during my office hours, they will sometimes interrupt a song. The bright yellow smiley Mahalo is a great conversation starter, and so far my colleagues haven't expressed any displeasure...

chindog
02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
My eleauke peanut also lives in my office. I can play it at lunchtime without disturbing my neighbors. Of course, everyone wants me to play Tiptoe Through The Tulips, which I don't play.

stmace
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I keep my Tiki Fluke in my office. I'm a little reluctant to hand my KoAloha off to a student (even a grad student), but I'll let anyone play around with the Fluke, because dings won't really matter, and aren't likely to even happen.

haolejohn
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I keep my Tiki Fluke in my office. I'm a little reluctant to hand my KoAloha off to a student (even a grad student), but I'll let anyone play around with the Fluke, because dings won't really matter, and aren't likely to even happen.

you would be surprised at how gently they will handle it. I used to bring my Meles and my sceptre and my pineapple sunday and my koaloha concert to class. The look I got from those fifth graders was priceless.

tainauke
02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
:iwant:

Wish I could bring my ukulele to work, but as a temp bank teller, not possible! :(

When the economical crisis is over, I'll change jobs and I too shall have an office and will be able to play the uke on breaks!

Manalishi
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Since retirement,my work is my home! So I have
all five of mine to hand,and my Banjo-Ukulele too,
to play as the mood takes me! Great! Although,I
had to work all my life to get to this position....

ricdoug
02-04-2012, 04:46 AM
what grade? I teach 3rd and I have no problem with them touching mine. They are careful but I did have one of the dolphins knocked off a desk and then kicked (accident but clumsy boys:)) and it survived with just a chipped paint scar.

Colored nail polish from dollar stores and Wal Marts work great for touch up on the painted Makala Dolphins. Ric

garyg
02-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Like another poster I'm a professor so I keep a 40's Favilla U2 in my office for distraction. We also have a student/faculty uke/string jam every Weds at lunch, so that's another reason I keep a uke at work. That Fallon clip was funny, ukes are infiltrating everywhere. ciao, g2

ricdoug
02-04-2012, 05:07 AM
I almost always have a half dozen ukes in my car (along with a two guitars, a bass, a bass amp, 7 guitar amps, 2 P.A. systems, cables, microphones, a music stand, song books, microphone and speaker stands and 6 camping stools). Here's the gear that's usually in the trunk of my Ford Focus:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus3.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus4.jpg

ricdoug
02-04-2012, 05:09 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BatteryAmpsTrunkFordFocus5.jpg

The ukes, guitars and bass, along with two more amps and a music stand are in the back seat. Ric

coolkayaker1
02-04-2012, 05:36 AM
In a word, no I do not keep a ukulele at work.

Lalz
02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
I almost always have a half dozen ukes in my car (along with a two guitars, a bass, a bass amp, 7 guitar amps, 2 P.A. systems, cables, microphones, a music stand, song books, microphone and speaker stands and 6 camping stools).

I'm curious, why you keep so many gears and instruments in your car?

ricdoug
02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I perform 2-5 days a week, Lalou. I also conduct a kanikapila on Sundays and do the sound setup for another kanikapila on Thursdays. The extra ukuleles are loaners for kanikapila and impromptu jams. The Oceanside Boys and Girls Club gave me a call on a Friday at 3PM while I was at work. They had a luau at 5:30PM and the musicians cancelled out on that Friday. When I arrived, the hula dancers were excited I knew all their songs. On a special note all the amplification I carry, except for a small secondary P.A., can run on battery power (another thread on that here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification ). Local Farmers Markets also call me when needed. It's fun being able to just jump in and do an entire performance without advance notice. Ric

saovadee
02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Yes I bring my uke everyday at work, I'm a Visual artist, so when I use my machine for render I have few free minutes to play.

Artista
02-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Ive been so tempted to bring one of my ukes to work but the work enviorment would be too dangerous-even with a case.

Lalz
02-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I perform 2-5 days a week, Lalou. I also conduct a kanikapila on Sundays and do the sound setup for another kanikapila on Thursdays. The extra ukuleles are loaners for kanikapila and impromptu jams. The Oceanside Boys and Girls Club gave me a call on a Friday at 3PM while I was at work. They had a luau at 5:30PM and the musicians cancelled out on that Friday. When I arrived, the hula dancers were excited I knew all their songs. On a special note all the amplification I carry, except for a small secondary P.A., can run on battery power (another thread on that here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification ). Local Farmers Markets also call me when needed. It's fun being able to just jump in and do an entire performance without advance notice. Ric

Nice! I totally get it then. Your life = my dream life :-)

daltont
02-15-2012, 02:41 AM
When you work from home, it's dangerous! Every time I walk by my ukes or guitars, I try to squeeze a quick minute or two. :D

mascompro
02-15-2012, 02:56 AM
I have a Uke sitting in my office, right next to my desk all the time, gives me something to do while waiting for various processes to complete.

glass
02-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Yes because I am a stay at home dad.

Pukulele Pete
02-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Let's see...

5 mainland concerts (1 red cedar and 4 mahog)
4 mainland sopranos (all red cedars)
3 dolphins

and sometimes I bring one of my nice ukes (but only on Wednesday or special occasions).
I'm curious to know why you have 9 Mainlands . I have two Mainlands
red cedar soprano and concert. Why have so many of the same brand?
Do you teach ukulele , or do you just love Mainland ukes ( they are great ukes ). After thinking about this for a minute , I'm thinking you must teach ukulele.

saltwatercowgirl
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I teach young children, and I like to sing and play my Kala Kiwi Soprano during "circle time"