PDA

View Full Version : new uke day - new to me

Nickie
02-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Yesterday I received an Oscar Schmidt OU 2205 W/C tenor. It is slightly pre-loved, and it has great tone, very light action. It appears that it was set up pretty close to right on. It's definitely not "dead" like some OS ukes are. I welcome it to my "collection", and can't wait to play it later today. Right now, I'm going back to bed, rough night last night.

fitncrafty
02-03-2012, 04:02 AM
Sweet dreams and enjoy that new uke when you are up and rested!!

Trinimon
02-03-2012, 04:43 AM
Hope ya didn't sleep with the uke! Haha! Congrats!

vanflynn
02-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Congrats Nickie. Give us some pics and a review once the inital "new Uke jones" wears off.

stevepetergal
02-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Is that the model with the wide fretboard?

mm stan
02-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Yesterday I received an Oscar Schmidt OU 2205 W/C tenor. It is slightly pre-loved, and it has great tone, very light action. It appears that it was set up pretty close to right on. It's definitely not "dead" like some OS ukes are. I welcome it to my "collection", and can't wait to play it later today. Right now, I'm going back to bed, rough night last night.

Woo Hoo Congratulations Nicky...I am happy for you.....have fun and enjoy....I love my OU2...one of my favorites...Yes Yes....Happy Strummings Girl...MM Stan

mds725
02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Congratulations on your new (to you) ukulele! I hope it brings you lots of joy.

Nickie
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks, everybody! It is a wide neck I think, it measures 5'2", no wait that's the song I was playing, it's 3.5mm wide at the nut.

mm stan
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Hey Nickie,
which one did you get, I couldn't find a picture..is it one of these.
http://www.oscarschmidt.com/products/ukes/ou2.asp

Hippie Dribble
02-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Congrats Nickie, great buy mate. Here's to many happy memories made together :)

1931jim
02-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks, everybody! It is a wide neck I think, it measures 5'2", no wait that's the song I was playing, it's 3.5mm wide at the nut.
What's a silly milly meter among friends. Perhaps 3.5 cm.

BasicUke
02-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Congrats!!

WhenDogsSing
02-03-2012, 01:31 PM
What's a silly milly meter among friends. Perhaps 3.5 cm.

That's pretty much 1-3/8".

poppy
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscar-Schmidt-OU240SWK-solid-wood-uke-ukulele-w-hardshell-case-/180798666975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1870b8df

This will help nicky there is a good description and a couple fair pics of the model you have.

Nickie
02-03-2012, 05:50 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscar-Schmidt-OU240SWK-solid-wood-uke-ukulele-w-hardshell-case-/180798666975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1870b8df

This will help Nickie there is a good description and a couple fair pics of the model you have.

That's it! The nut is 3 and 5/16".

brucemoffatt
02-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Congrats on the new uke arrival. Pics later?

Gwynedd
02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Well, it now is MY new uke day. My long-awaited Mainland mahogany tenor (Uke Republic) arrived. With amber tuners (gorgeous.) THE SOUND. ..... I'm in LOVE.

BasicUke
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Well, it now is MY new uke day. My long-awaited Mainland mahogany tenor (Uke Republic) arrived. With amber tuners (gorgeous.) THE SOUND. ..... I'm in LOVE.

AWESOME!! You GOTTA post pics of that!

Plainsong
02-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Happy NUD. <-- That makes me giggle, because I'm 11. :)

When it comes in playable shape and sounding nice, it's like hitting the jackpot twice. I know it shouldn't be that way, but that's just how it feels! :)

Gwynedd
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
When I am home and have some sunlight, I will photograph it. The sound is sweet and it is less gaudy than I feared, very pretty indeed. The amber tuners are just right. I really like it. I'm not surprised, yet thrilled, that I can play pieces on it that I can barely get done on the Dolphin. This follows that if you are a serious beginner, do not handicap yourself with a bad instrument (true of flutes, that I know first hand.)

Nickie
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Congratulations! I'd love to see it. I'll see if I can get my fancy Canon camera working. It wasn't working last year... I think it needs a chip???

Gwynedd
02-07-2012, 01:24 AM

Here you go---

Nickie
02-10-2012, 07:02 AM

Here you go---

Gwynedd, That Mainland is gorgeous!
I just got the OS set up again, and played a little today. I can make it buzz if I hit the strings hard, but I'm beginning to think that I need to develop a lighter touch, I do tend to bang my strings pretty hard, I think.The construction seems very solid, of course it weighs more than my Concert. The 'fit and finish' looks just perfect to me, it has subtle rope binding that looks very classy. The mahogany wood is lovely, has a satin finish. No flaws evident. The headstock is covered in what appears to be rosewood, and is topped off with Grover tuners, which I love. The tuner buttons look like ebony, but I don't know if that's what that really is. The saddle is a pretty design, more exciting than the boring rectangular ones we see a lot. It came with a strap button, so I saved $10 having one attached. There are no frets protruding from the sides. I rubbed the fretboard down with fretboard butter, seemed to make it easier to move around on. I cleaned the whole thing (it wasn't dirty) with lemon oil, it gave it a little more gleam.
The tenor seems MUCH bigger than my concert uke, and it's going to be a learning curve for me. It doesn't sound quite as loud as my concert, but I don't have a dB meter to test them with. Maybe I just don't attack it like I do the concert... with which I am much more confident.
It came with a very nice hard case, even has a soft grip handle. I traded my Ashbory bass for it and I think I made the right choice. I like it.