Unwound low G strings???

uncle david

Reaction score
I'll keep this short and simple...

Can anyone recommend a string set with a low G that is not wound?

Thanks in advance!

Worth Clear Low G is what I'm using right now, and they're awesome...the flourocarbon low G has enough tension in it that it doesn't feel too slack and it feels great. The strings have a bit of a mellower sound where Aquilas are more brash and punchy. I love them.

Here's a clip of my tenor with Aquilas, then Low G Worths, then my KoAloha with reentrant G Worth Clears to compare: Fender Sound Sample on Soundcloud

Thanks, folks!

I will hit up Elderly soon and likely give the Worth clear a try.

I have had good experiences with Orcas low g.

I'll not on second that, but enthusiastically so. They are really something.

Another to consider would be both Worths (I prefer the browns, but the clear is good, too) or Southcoast.

But yeah, Orcas are great.

On my tenor I use a 'normal' set of Aquila Tenor Nylguts
strung in the IZ manner,that is:
For G use the C string
For C use the E string.
For E Use the G string.
For A use the A string
Some players do not like this method but I have used
it with no problem for a couple of years or more now!

I use a low G Clear Fremont string with Aquila C E A strings on my concert, and Blackline Fremont strings with a low G on my banjo uke. They sound great and are super-smooth to play with. Much smoother than Aquilas. Highly recommended!

My fave low g set is the Worth CHLGHD - I found them to be well balanced for a low g set.

I have been happy with the Freemont Blacklines (flourocarbons) on my tenor with a low G, but I don't think there is much difference between those and most of the other flourocarbons (Worth, Martin, etc). I like Martins flouros on my soprano, but they don't make a low G for my tenor.

I just put a set of Fremont Blacklines on my Lanikai spalted mango tenor and really like the sound. I also just put a set of Worth Brown mediums on my new Kamoa E3 pineapple and like them but not as well as the Fremonts. Different ukes and different woods but I'm going to try a set of Fremonts on the Kamoa just to see.
I'm a recent convert to the unwound Low-G as I could never find a set with a wound G that sounded good to my ears. I now find myself playing my low-G ukes as much as my others.

Last edited:
As good as the Worth WSCHLGHD is, you should look into Southcoast linear string sets. You can get unwound in low g, also wound but as in "flat wound" which is a remarkable set. I use the linear string set and love the balance and feel.

Aloha,
Totally agree with CTurner. Southcoast G-650 flatwounds are the best low g's that I've tried. Well balanced and no string squeak, very comfortable to play also...................................BO........................

For the Southcoast, which key do you tune it to? It seems like they recommend different keys instead of the standard C for the tenor

Southcoast: on my re-entrant tenor, I do B flat at normal tension. The slightly higher tension of C sounds great but my Pohaku really shines with the B flat. On my low G tenor (Lichty Ukulele) I do D.

Thanks for the kind words CT & 808.

nongdam, you you are correct about our unwound low 4th set. It is a low G on a 20" scale - generally that means Baritone. On the 17" scale that's the norm on a Tenor, you'd tune up to the old ukulele "standard" key of D. In other words on a Tenor it would give you low A instead of low G.

Our flat wound sets are a great alternative for low G @ 17". For a wound set, the sound is very subdued, and like an unwound string, they don't squeak. Any set with the name G650 - round wound or flat wound - will give a low G @ 17".

Thanks Ben, that was great listening, is the second sample with Aquilas and just the Worth low g or are all the strings in the second sample Worths? cheers, g2

Worth Clear Low G is what I'm using right now, and they're awesome...the flourocarbon low G has enough tension in it that it doesn't feel too slack and it feels great. The strings have a bit of a mellower sound where Aquilas are more brash and punchy. I love them.

Here's a clip of my tenor with Aquilas, then Low G Worths, then my KoAloha with reentrant G Worth Clears to compare: Fender Sound Sample on Soundcloud

Does anyone know what string I would need to get with D'addario Pro Arte Tenor Strings? I usually get the reentrant set J71 but want to try them with a low G. thanks

I'll mention that the Worth unwound low-G is a thick string so you might want to check to see if your uke's nut slot can accommodate it.

I have a set of South Coast on my baritone. Love them--soft but clear. No finger squeaks. I recommend their Bone Bridge Beads, makes changing strings easy and they look cool, too.

Top Bottom