Help me build my Mya-Moe Uke

KimUke

Reaction score
I've decided to purchase my 2nd uke and there is something about the folks that own Mya-Moe that make me want to own one of their very special instruments.

So, as I've been strolling the Mya-Moe uke gallery, I'e watched myself flip-flop a half dozen times already.

I'm really struggling with selecting the size uke I'd like. My 1st uke is a Kanile'a Concert and I'm perfectly happy with the size but part of me thinks it might be fun to experiment with another.

I may be wrong in this observation, but it seems that folks tend to move away from Soprano's and into the tenor size. Mya-Moe's website states that the Tenor is by far their most popular - followed by the Concert.

So, here is my predicament -- I really like a ukie sounding uke -- and part of me wants to go with a soprano or super soprano -- and the other part of me thinks -- you may "outgrow" this size. Go for the custom tenor and just get a less expensive Soprano.

I guess this is the start of UAS.

I welcome any and all feedback.

Frankly, I know that I am not yet ready for such a wonderful instrument - but life is short - and well - life is short.

Last edited:
You might not want to order a custom ukulele until you're positive what size you want. If you're feeling the UAS, maybe it'd be a good idea to pick up both an affordable soprano uke and an affordable tenor uke. Play all three sizes for a few months. Eventually you'll know which size will be best for your custom uke, you can re-home the affordable ukes via the marketplace (or craigslist or a contest), and order the MM of your dreams.

Oh, and for wood, consider mango or myrtle. Notice how nicely 'mango Mya-Moe' and 'myrtle Mya-Moe' both roll off the tongue. Mmm.

I went through the same process. It's quite a dilemma. I was more than happy playing my Koaloha concert, but decided I deserved the best ukulele I could get. So I got myself on the schedule with Gordon and Char. I had no specs confirmed yet, but I knew it was Mya Moe for me.

Here's what I did next. I bought a used Lanikai tenor I had no intention of keeping. I played the heck out of it to see what I thought. (I had an unfair advantage, too: a friend with a Mya Moe tenor. So I knew the Lanikai body was a little bulkier)

By the time Gordon and Char were ready to start my instrument, I had enough experience with the tenor to make my decision. I highly recommend you do the same. I sold the Lanikai for the same price I paid. No loss, and I made a well informed decision. I decided on a tenor, but you should decide for yourself.

Life is definitely too short not to buy a Mya Moe. Tell them I said so.

I still play the Koaloha concert and love it very much. There are lots of things I prefer to do on a concert size, or can't do on a tenor.

Maybe life is too short to have only one Mya Moe. (My wife is gonna KILL me)

I hace an inexpensive luna concert and an inexpensive cordoba Tenor.

I like them both and go back and forth about 50/50 playing them.

Haven't decided once and for all if Brad Donaldson Uke is going to be concert or tenor.

I'm thinking tenor because I actually am very pleased with the Luna after changing strings and feel like I'm pretty set for the concert size.

But even with Aquila strings, I'm not totally happy with the sound of the cordoba.

Last edited:
Go for the Gusto...get all of them....and build your collection and your experience playing each one....whenever I get a new uke, that feeling comes back , that rush waiting for it and to be played
and the new motivation it brings...now I love all sizes and enjoy them equally like kids.. Happy Strummings....Yes I got the Koa Mya Moe soprano...plays so beautifully..
Yes it depends on what sound you want, playability and comfort...reaching the frets..it's all a trade off for what is important to you first..it's a personal preference...we cant tell you that...

Last edited:
It may be better to determine your go-to ukulele size before ordering a custom (although Mya-Moe is really more "made-to-order" than "custom"), but then again that could always change. I started out thinking I'll mostly play sopranos, then it turned to tenors, and now I consider the concert my go-to size. Everyone have different reasons for choosing a particular size, so this is something you probably should figure out on your own. Some people "outgrow" tenors and settle on sopranos. (Neal Paisley on Youtube and other uke forums is such a guy)

I will say that I think Mya-Moe is not that much of a step up from your Kanile'a in terms of sound and workmanship. Mya-Moe does have a couple more high-end details (one-piece neck, radiused & beveled edge fretboard, standard PegHed tuners), but I think Kanile'as absolutely hang with Mya-Moe as a player instrument. This is to say, you're ready for a Mya-Moe.

I wouldn't use the term "outgrow." Doing so implies that it's something one leaves behind as one get better / more skilled, which is certainly not the case. Rather, it's more that one's tastes/preferences might change over time.

Having said that, I concur with everyone else so far - make sure you really know what you want before making your decision. I suggest "experimenting" with other ukes first, then deciding what you want in your Mya-Moe.

Be careful what you ask for. We love spending other people's money!

yeah Kim, guess I would just reiterate what others have said...unless you're loaded with disposable cash, I'd perhaps try (a cheaper) one of each size for a little while and find what feels right to your fingers, sounds right to your ears and the style of music you like to play. You can always sell it on. The sounds across those 3 sizes and the playing styles suited to each are so very different. I don't think it's a matter of outgrowing a size, that's far too pejorative a term; it's more a matter of finding your own comfort zone. In any case, as often happens with ukes, you may decide you like all 3 sizes and need 3 mya moes!!!

All that said, Gordon and Char will build you a fine, fine instrument once you've made your decision. :)

its all down to hand size, comfort and versatility, you need to ask yourself 'are you' comfortable with the concert size, if you find it a bit cramped then maybe a tenor is the answer, if not then you are in your comfort zone, reaching some chords on a tenor can be a bit of a stretch, tenors are a fair bit louder than concerts, i have also heard that depending on the maker and wood used some tenors are not, soprano's can be limiting but i have seen some awesome players on a soprano, but hey if you don't experiment you will never know................

I waited until I was sure what size(s) I wanted before I committed to expensive ukuleles. I agree with everyone who suggests that you buy inexpensive ukuleles in different sizes and decide for yourself what size is the most comfortable and pleasing for you before you commit to a Mya-Moe. Asking other people what size you should get is a flawed way of deciding because people may prefer the scale they prefer for reasons that have nothing to do with what you want in an ukulele. My first ukulele was a concert, and I still have it because I like its "ukie" (as you put it) sound, but I play tenors and baritones most of the time. (In a moment of great weakness, I ordered a baritone Mya-Moe after having ordered a tenor Mya-Moe -- bye bye tax refunds for the next several years! -- because I play both sizes almost equally, but for different reasons.) You can reserve your place on the Mya-Moe wait list now with a deposit, and that'll give you a couple of months to decide. You can select any size now; Mya-Moe confirms your order details about six weeks before the build start date.

On the other hand, if you buy a Mya-Moe now and decide you don't like the scale you picked, the market for mint condition used Mya-Moes is very hot, and you could probably get back most of what you paid for it. But then you'd have to get back into line for another Mya-Moe.

yeah Kim, guess I would just reiterate what others have said...unless you're loaded with disposable cash, I'd perhaps try (a cheaper) one of each size for a little while and find what feels right to your fingers, sounds right to your ears and the style of music you like to play. You can always sell it on. The sounds across those 3 sizes and the playing styles suited to each are so very different. I don't think it's a matter of outgrowing a size, that's far too pejorative a term; it's more a matter of finding your own comfort zone. In any case, as often happens with ukes, you may decide you like all 3 sizes and need 3 mya moes!!!

All that said, Gordon and Char will build you a fine, fine instrument once you've made your decision. :)

It was your playing of a Maya Moe that made me want one in the first place!!!!!! Your worried man turned into my worried wallet!!! ;)

Lots of good suggestions here, but let me add a few more:

1. Call Gordon and Char and talk to them. Working with them on my Mya-Moe was perhaps the single best buying experience of my life. In addition to being fine builders, they are fine people, and they want you to be happy with your purchase. While nobody can tell you what you want, they will ask you good questions and help you come to the conclusions you need to come to about what you want out of an instrument. There's more to a custom uke than owning it-- there's the process of creating it, so work with your builder and collaborate-- especially when your builders are such cool people.

2. Mya-Moes are desirable and in-demand. I'd be surprised if you don't like the one you select, but should you choose not to keep it, you should have little trouble selling it for a reasonable amount. When I made the tough decision to sell my Mya-Moe, people here almost literally lined up to buy it. So you're not really risking much in money, although quite a bit in emotions.

3. Play what you like, not what someone tells you is most popular. In the end, I don't find all that much difference between a concert and a tenor. After starting on concerts, I move to tenors because they suited my hands better, but I still keep a concert around because they're fun and I like the tone. In the end, nobody knows that but you.

Keep us in the loop-- we love watching other people spend money! :)

Keep in mind that whatever wood you pick the uke itself will sound amazing! I never owned or played a myrtle instrument before, but I picked the wood on mine because it looks pretty (haha) and it worked out great!

Also why not just get a superconcert? Tenor neck, concert body, and it keeps the uke-y tone you like. You also get more neck space as well.

Last edited:
Tell you what. Get a concert, If you decide it's not right, put it up for sale at a discount here and get a tenor. (I could use a concert)

There are lot's of great comments here. I just recieved my first MM a few weeks ago. As someone without a lot of extra cash around, I will say that it was money well spent. Visiting the Mya-Moe shop, picking out the wood and specs, watching the build, interacting with Gordon and Char, and finally recieving the instrument was one of the greatest experiences of my life and worth every penny.

When I visited their shop I wasn't sure about taking the plunge money wise. Then a set of wood just spoke to me and took over. The size, specs, etc. just start coming together and Gordon and Char are probably the best customer service/artists I have ever worked with. I'm a believer in "anything worth doing, is worth doing right." Mya-Moe does things right for sure. I also figured that if I ran into financial problems I could most likely sell it for what I paid or take a small loss... Now you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands:)

I could go on and on... My point is, unless it would be extremely unwise for you financially you would be making a fantastic investment in a work of art and yourself. I think if you step into the waters and start the conversation with G&C it will all come together for you.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom