Stewmac kit braces

mr roper

Reaction score
It looks like the instructions have me tapering the brace ends to clear the lining. Is this how the real luthiers do it or do you taper the brace and also make a notch in the lining so that the brace extends to the side?

I don't know whether it makes a difference sonically but notching the ends of the braces into the lining helps to key the back and top so they don't slide around while gluing. What with getting the glue spread and the joint clamped quickly, there is plenty going on without having to cope with keeping the parts in proper registration.

I notch the braces in for a couple of reasons. I know that others don't for their own reasons. Different ways of building and accomplishing essentially the same ends. It's still going to sound like a uke, so you're not going to go wrong either way.

I'm going to notch the braces as I like to add my own touch to things like kits. So hows the best way to locate where to notch?

I glue them to the back so that they overshoot the sides just a touch. Then lay the back on the sides, making sure that the centre line is correct. Then mark the the linings with a sharp pencil where the braces go.

I use a razor saw to cut the edge of the slot into the linings, then set my dremel up to take the correct depth (about 2.5 - 3.0mm) and very carefully route out the waste. If you are not installing bindings, then DO NOT CUT THE SIDES, or you will be cursing at yourself for days.

Top Bottom