Southcoast Metal Strings

stmace

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just put Southcoast G650 Linear w/classical metals on my tenor. Can I simply cut off the extra at the tuners? I certainly don't want the wound strings to unwind.

On a wound string, I put a tiny dab of hot melt glue on the end after cutting it off. I always mask off the instrument first. It's almost invisible and the winding doesn't come undone.

I just put Southcoast G650 Linear w/classical metals on my tenor. Can I simply cut off the extra at the tuners?

Yes. These are great strings - their only quirk being that once you take them off, you may not be able to put them back on. The kink where they wrapped around the tuners will be weak.

Yes. These are great strings - their only quirk being that once you take them off, you may not be able to put them back on. The kink where they wrapped around the tuners will be weak.

I haven't had a problem with the G650's unwinding. My favorite strings!!!!

Thanks for the input. I took my instrument to a luthier (rgmusic) for set up work, and he was surprised at the strings, but after a couple of strums, he too like them.

I just cut mine off with wire snips and have had no issues. I use the G650's on my Pono tenor and they are the absolute best!

I had the low G w/ flat wound for my tenor and they were the most balanced strings I played. It's hard to find a low G string that isn't too overpowering and Southcoast is the one.

I do it all the time, especially when experimenting with strings are low/high tunings. It all depends on if I have enough spare length to get the string back on, or as mentioned, if the wound string would survive.

I've never heard of someone putting strings back on after taking them off. Why would you do that?
Pretty common if you're trying different string sets . . .

Pretty common if you're trying different string sets . . .

So what do you mean by trying different string sets? I'm not trying to belittle anyone or anything, it's just not something I've thought to do. I put a set of strings on and generally don't take them off for a while. If I want to try some different strings, I'll buy a different set for the next time I change them out. It's such a pain to get strings to settle into being tuned that I'd rather not change them all that frequently.

Since I have four ukes at the moment, I also have a drawer dedicated to single strings, either not used or lightly used. I tag each of them with a flag of Scotch tape and mark them accordingly.

I find that tinkering with alternate tunings, low/high combinations and such almost as enjoyable as actually playing.

So what do you mean by trying different string sets? I'm not trying to belittle anyone or anything, it's just not something I've thought to do. I put a set of strings on and generally don't take them off for a while. If I want to try some different strings, I'll buy a different set for the next time I change them out. It's such a pain to get strings to settle into being tuned that I'd rather not change them all that frequently.

I completely understand what you're saying. However, there are those folks who keep trying and comparing different sets of strings hoping to find their unique sound. String sets are relatively inexpensive and they often buy 3-4 sets at a time, maybe more. Since the strings were only used "minimally", IMO they can be reused and they also make good spares.

Top Bottom