Which fingers do you use on fingerpicking songs?

paeataa

Reaction score
Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help explain to me how do we know which finger (on right hand) to use when playing a fingerpicking style.

I'm trying to start with an easy song like Grandfather's Clock http://pdfminstrel.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/grandfathers_clock1.pdf

It looks easy enough to me to follow the notes on the tab. But I'm pretty sure I use the wrong fingers almost all the time.

Often times, I tend to just use my thumb for single note throughout the song. But I think it makes more sense to use index, middle, or even ring finger to move through the notes faster. But I just don't know which one to start with :(

Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

I came to uke with a background in classical guitar, and I'd say fingerpicking four strings is easier than six. :)

Basically in CG, you use four fingers:

P - pulgar (thumb)
I - index
M - middle
A - anular (ring)

Four fingers... four strings, sometimes that's the obvious choice. In the piece you linked, when four note on four strings are written to be played together, you'd use all four fingers to pluck them simultaneously. Some would use the thumb to strum across them instead, but that isn't fingerpicking, although using both strumming and fingerpicking in the same piece can work great. (Jake, anyone? :p)

Consider a melody that alternates between the top two strings. There's much more economy of motion in using I-M or M-I than in trying to keep moving from one string to another with the same finger.

Otherwise, for me, it's a matter of which fingers are most convenient at the time, depending on what notes/strings you're coming from or going to. I realize that sounds pretty nebulous, and it is.

It takes some time to figure out what works best for you. I have seen some amazing players using just thumb/index. There is no right or wrong, but I'd encourage you to at least try the P-I-M-A approach.

I use the ones that work. I'm not fast enough to have used the pinky, yet.

Thanks for the suggestion, itsme :)

I also tried to use all four fingers (P-I-M-A), but maybe my hand and finger position is not quite right. The sound from my M and A fingers is awkwardly soft.

But if there is no set of rules in what fingers are to be used for specific strings, I think I might just have to learn from song to song on a convenient basis :)

Please correct me if I sound like I'm going to go in a wrong direction :)

All of them...if your name is Jake! LOL

John

For general fingerpicking patterns, I tend to use my thumb for the g and c strings. My pointer for the e string. My middle finger for my a string. I usually anchor with my pinky and let my ring finger float in the air.

If I am trying to pick out a melody, I might just use my thumb.

I started-out using the thumb on 4&3, forefinger on 2 and middle on 1. My thought was "why not learn for later, not starting with thumb only and then having to train using others later". I thought it was a great way to do it. Then, I started taking lessons from a local instructor who disagreed with my (and some others) logic and had me pick for a couple of months with just my thumb. For many reasons I stopped my lessons. Then I tried playing with multiple fingers again. I couldn't do it! My brain and fingers were not communicating properly I guess. Well, I decided to stick with multiple fingers and finally (after a couple of months) got back to the level that I was picking before I changed to just the thumb. Now, after 6 more months of practice I am doing very well with it. I am comfortable with my decision, but as with other things, it may not be the best for all. :2cents:

Humph! :mad: Maybe that teacher needs to learn that there should be no rules for uke playing except to have fun!! Techniques, yes. Hard rules, no!

Just a newbie's thoughts ...

UkeMania is pretty close to my thinking. The one hard rule for ukulele playing is that there are no hard rules.

Anyone have experience with the ukulele Mike Lynch plays in the instruction video, the Oscar Schmidt OU6W? Please review or send me a PM.

Top Bottom