Club song books

BasicUke

Reaction score
I live where it would be several hours to get to a ukulele club to play with a group. Unfortunately due to a scheduling conflict with Origins, I can't make the UWC 2012 even though it's close.

My thought was I could play with a group when I travel. I found a likely group and, lo and behold, they have a song book they play from, so I downloaded it.

Now I can play the chords that they have, but I have no idea of the strumming patterns they use. Having never been to a group like this, do I need to know what pattern they use, or is it that I should already know that but I am too much of a novice to know that I should know?!?! :confused:

Does anyone have a video of their group meeting or something? What should I expect?

TIA,

Jim

Hmmm.. No response from a usually very responsive and helpful group!

I must be asking the wrong question.

If I have a piece of sheet music with the notes, lyrics, and chords printed above the staff, is it normal just play just 4 Down-Ups (assuming 4/4 time) in a large group or is the strumming something that is going to be dependent on the song and the group you are playing with?

Thanks!

If you'll be playing with a group, esp a large group, you're probably going to be lost in the crowd. If there are all levels of players, Most will be nose-down in their books concerned about what they're doing to keep up with the group. No worries, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

They should be happy to have you join them and once the music starts you may not be able to single out anyone's strumming pattern. Just go with the flow and in time it will seem like 2nd nature.

Most of all, have a good time and play nice with the other ukulele players and you'll be welcomed back. : )

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom