Ukulele Tuner

Yes, it should work fine. The quality is another questions though. For a few bucks more, look at Snark or Kala for a decent tuner.

What they said^^^^!! Yes it will do the job, but how well and for how long is another matter entirely! The Snarks are only slightly more expensive and have been proven by lots of users to be effective and pretty robust.

It will be fine, but if you want a reliable one that is top-o-the-line and you won't spend much more, consider the Snark Chromatic. Not the least of which, it is pretty. And it is a good brand--won't quit on you in a few months--we can't be sure of off brand electronics. It also has a spot-on mark plus divisions to show how sharp or flat you are. I have two. Love em.

Can't go wrong with that Snark for $10 shipped.
The cheaper one probably has a bit less 'resolution' or precision.

I actually prefer the ClearTune app under Android, and the Planet Waves TuneUp app for iPhone/iPod. Very nice displays, and a simulated strobe wheel in TuneUp.

+1 on the Snark.

I have to admit to being impressed with the Snark tuners after buying a handful for grandkids this Christmas. I'm not impressed with the Kala tuners (had two, one worked for 3 days before dying, the other still works but it doesn't seem to read as precisely as the Snark). I can't complain too loudly about the Kala tuners because they were "free" but I certainly wouldn't buy one when a Snark can be had for a couple bucks more. As for that eBay thing - it might be fine but it looks cheaper than the Kala tuners... LOL

Edit: Actually, that Kala tuner worked for 3 days before dieing...

John

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I bought the Snarks tuner :) Can't wait till it comes in.

I have a Snark tuner. It's excellent.

The tuner app on my Android phone comes in handy sometimes, as well!

I have two--the Uke tuner and the chromatic all instrument. They both work about the same, but you get the metronome in the All Instrument, otherwise, they are the same (chromatic) and the All Instrument comes in a matte metallic red that I really like, but the Uke is black, which some may prefer. Since I leave them clipped to the ukes, I don't mind having 2, but either will do. They are easy to read, even in the dark.

I forgot to say that the Red Chromatic is really the better deal as it has the ability to tune the A or any note to a different frequency (ie a baroque A is something like 415hz) or if someone's A on their flute is not 440 (easy to happen) you can tune your A to their relative pitch and make it easy to transpose to another instrument. There is also the ability to set the tempo by tapping on the face and it produces a visual tempo metronome, handy for leading a group.

Last edited:
Okay, firstly I'm not saying anything against Snark; I haven't got one or used one so I can't comment on how good (or bad) they are but they do seem to be suffering a bit from "flavour of the month" syndrome. I saw this happen with guitar capos a few years ago. Everyone had to have a Shubb capo, they were the 'in thing' of the day - the 'must have' capo. Now if you look at guitarists today and the capos they use there are all sorts; Shubb is no longer top of the pile and the fashion for them has died a death.

There are other excellent tuners out there too so don't fall into the trap that one brand is best. I've been using a Joyo JT-20 tuner for years and it's an excellent tuner. Granted it's not as pretty as the Snark but it does the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOYO-JT-2...ccessories&hash=item35b92cef11#ht_1924wt_1199.

Fully chromatic, adjustable pitch frequency, mic or clip tuning, changes colour when in tune. It's also very easy on the batteries and has a very sturdy clip. I've used this tuner for over 5 years and it still works perfectly and for under £7!!! As I say, Snark is probably great but there are others out there that will do the job just as well.

Last edited:
Aloha,
On all chromatic tuners, don't over look the battery. If you tuner seems to be working goofy, try changing the battery, no matter how new it is..............................BO.......................

Top Bottom