Ukes for school

bonesigh

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm going with the phrase..."It never hurts to ask". So, I'm asking...Does anyone have any inexpensive, dinged up/damaged or not, ukuleles they would be willing to donate to those kids in our area (Berryville, Virginia)? I know some won't be able to afford to buy one for home use. We got our grant for the 25 ukuleles for the school. We've got Marcy Marxer and Kathy Fink and Moses Kamai of Northeren Va Ukulele Ensemble coming out next month to put on a pro bono show to get them pumped up. I know how generous the uke society can be so...what do you think? I could post a picture of the lucky kid or kids with their new ukulele when they get it. (With the permission of their parents of course).

Thanks in advance!

I love your idea! But I live on the other side of the country and I donated my Oscar Schmidt tenor to a local school here with a ukulele program. Best of luck with your endeavor! Your students are lucky to have teachers/administrators who really care about music education.

If you could pay the shipping for 3 sopranos from Los Angeles, PM me. The intonation is not great though, and they might need adjustment to even make a C chord sound OK.
–Lori

View attachment 33211Waddayathinkaboutthis? Musician's Friend and Music123 both sell Mahalo ukuleles for 21.99 and SHIP FOR FREE. The coloured ones are an extra appeal. Even with the paint removed, the wood is surprisingly attractive. By drilling in the ditch between the bridge and where the strings normally tie, the strings can be strung as Through The Body. That little modification makes a big difference in sound, and it also assures you that a bridge will not make its way to the neck. It would be cheaper for me to buy one and have it sent to you than to take a beater and send it myself. I would also send you the #73 drill bit for drilling through the bridge and the bridgeplate beneath it.

You can order strings from Aquila USA (Curtis Daily) with a $50.00 minimum order.Changing strings is also a major change. Some Mahalos come with them;some just use fishing line.

Adding a sideport is also a simple way to improve the quantity and quality of the sound. That can be quickly accomplished with a 1/8th inch drill bit.View attachment 33210

Last edited:
If you could pay the shipping for 3 sopranos from Los Angeles, PM me. The intonation is not great though, and they might need adjustment to even make a C chord sound OK.
–Lori

Wonder what the shipping amount would be? Could you find out? Do you think these are fixable? I do tinker a bit.

View attachment 33211Waddayathinkaboutthis? Musician's Friend and Music123 both sell Mahalo ukuleles for 21.99 and SHIP FOR FREE. The coloured ones are an extra appeal. Even with the paint removed, the wood is surprisingly attractive. By drilling in the ditch between the bridge and where the strings normally tie, the strings can be strung as Through The Body. That little modification makes a big difference in sound, and it also assures you that a bridge will not make its way to the neck. It would be cheaper for me to buy one and have it sent to you than to take a beater and send it myself. I would also send you the #73 drill bit for drilling through the bridge and the bridgeplate beneath it.

You can order strings from Aquila USA (Curtis Daily) with a $50.00 minimum order.Changing strings is also a major change. Some Mahalos come with them;some just use fishing line.

Adding a sideport is also a simple way to improve the quantity and quality of the sound. That can be quickly accomplished with a 1/8th inch drill bit.View attachment 33210

Hello, I have a mahalo les paul as my beach uke and it's alright. I'll try what you said about making the strings "through the body". We are getting some Aquila strings with our grant and we'll be (well mostly me) setting up 25 ukes. If anyone would like to send anything pro bono I'll try my best to make 'em sound the best before they go to their new owners. P.M. me for personal information.

Thank you!

As someone who asked this same question a few years ago and almost got banned...What i recommend you do, is get the kids interested. The school year is almost up. Start a program and offer it this year but have the kids buy...Trust me on this (it'll make them more responsible). The two years that I ran a club I was able to "Deach" five dolphins to five lucky kids. These kids were ones that sparked interest in the uke but I knew they had no way of getting one (their teachers input). I have been shipped around my school district since we laid off 277 teachers. I became the lowest of the low (but thank God, I never lost my job). I was able to work out a deal with UkeRepublic and got a great deal on the dolphins. I know MimsUkes, who is moving to the Va. Mountains just did a project for a school in Va. Good Luck and hopefully you don't get the same response from the Mods that I got. I have wanted to start a thread like this and I know there have been a few since that got away with it...I'm just not going to chance it again. My kids may suffer but that is ok with me.

I also recommend buying some your self. I sold a uke and used the money to buy a few mainland blemished ukes for my classroom. I now have 11 ukes in use. 4 dolphins and 7 mainlands. I have 4 concerts and 7 sopranos. I use them as classroom management tools. Rewards for good behavior. Next year if I get to stay at the same school the Uke club will be in full force.

There was spin-off thread too but I can't find it. I never did anything wrong but man was I attacked by some. Understandable since I was new here. But a lot took up for me b/c I never asked for donations. I asked for makers or dealers that helped.

Hi bonesigh --

What I did for our program down here in Tidewater was buy a 6 pack of Eddy Finn Minnows from Daly Music when they were on sale right before Xmas.

Now the price is $209 for the 6 pack with free shipping, which I think is worth the higher price over Mahalo b/c of the lifetime guarantee.

My in-class ukes are Makala Dolphins (b/c the plastic is sturdier).

Fixing up a beater uke is difficult -- my cousin shipped me an old Hilo that someone had handed down to her and it had been glued badly.

Good luck w/ the program! I'm using the James HIll Ukulele in the Classroom book, and am in the JHUI program and highly recommend it!

As someone who asked this same question a few years ago and almost got banned...What i recommend you do, is get the kids interested. The school year is almost up. Start a program and offer it this year but have the kids buy...Trust me on this (it'll make them more responsible). The two years that I ran a club I was able to "Deach" five dolphins to five lucky kids. These kids were ones that sparked interest in the uke but I knew they had no way of getting one (their teachers input). I have been shipped around my school district since we laid off 277 teachers. I became the lowest of the low (but thank God, I never lost my job). I was able to work out a deal with UkeRepublic and got a great deal on the dolphins. I know MimsUkes, who is moving to the Va. Mountains just did a project for a school in Va. Good Luck and hopefully you don't get the same response from the Mods that I got. I have wanted to start a thread like this and I know there have been a few since that got away with it...I'm just not going to chance it again. My kids may suffer but that is ok with me.

I also recommend buying some your self. I sold a uke and used the money to buy a few mainland blemished ukes for my classroom. I now have 11 ukes in use. 4 dolphins and 7 mainlands. I have 4 concerts and 7 sopranos. I use them as classroom management tools. Rewards for good behavior. Next year if I get to stay at the same school the Uke club will be in full force.

Oh, whoops, didn't know I could get in trouble! Hope I don't. Guess I'll just let the thread die.

I know the year is half gone. Can't believe it took them so long to get the grant. I'm just a mom here who is helping out and have gotten many people here interested in the uke. I will be donating some myself along with free private (get you started lessons). I may perhaps offer a summer class through the rec center. Because once some of these kids get a taste of this instrument it will be hard to wait a whole summer to learn more. We'll be sure to let them know about all the online help too. That's where I did most of my learning.

Ooooo, Mim in the Virginia mountains? Where? Wonder which school she helped.

Melodee Music in Sterling is going to help us on the cost of our ukes.

Good luck to you and your ukes at school!!

Oh, whoops, didn't know I could get in trouble! Hope I don't. Guess I'll just let the thread die.

I know the year is half gone. Can't believe it took them so long to get the grant. I'm just a mom here who is helping out and have gotten many people here interested in the uke. I will be donating some myself along with free private (get you started lessons). I may perhaps offer a summer class through the rec center. Because once some of these kids get a taste of this instrument it will be hard to wait a whole summer to learn more. We'll be sure to let them know about all the online help too. That's where I did most of my learning.

Ooooo, Mim in the Virginia mountains? Where? Wonder which school she helped.

Melodee Music in Sterling is going to help us on the cost of our ukes.

Good luck to you and your ukes at school!!

I think you will be fine. Like I said a few other threads have started where people have asked and received help. No big deal. Her sister is a teacher somewhere. She got a uke company to match the amount raised or something like that. It was awesome. I have just started a project on a website (I can't remember what it is called but you have to be a teacher) to try and raise some money for uke for me. I'd like to get 25 that i can keep with me. I've given over 20 dolphins away over the years to students. But I now have a baby so I don't have the extra funds anymore. Keep going up there. I am at my third school in three years and the plan has been to spend my first year building their interest, then infecting them with UAS:) I have so many kids at my new school wanting to join the uke club next year. My school is 50% free and reduced lunch so it'll be a challenge. Good Luck, It can happen. It happened here so i know it can happen there.

I think you will be fine. Like I said a few other threads have started where people have asked and received help. No big deal. Her sister is a teacher somewhere. She got a uke company to match the amount raised or something like that. It was awesome. I have just started a project on a website (I can't remember what it is called but you have to be a teacher) to try and raise some money for uke for me. I'd like to get 25 that i can keep with me. I've given over 20 dolphins away over the years to students. But I now have a baby so I don't have the extra funds anymore. Keep going up there. I am at my third school in three years and the plan has been to spend my first year building their interest, then infecting them with UAS:) I have so many kids at my new school wanting to join the uke club next year. My school is 50% free and reduced lunch so it'll be a challenge. Good Luck, It can happen. It happened here so i know it can happen there.

THANK YOU! Nothing's going to stop this crazy uke'n mama!

John that's so very inspiring!

Thanks for your example.

My sponsors bought 10 Makala Dolphin ukes for me to carry around to my programs.

The Eddy Finn Minnows are our "you've completed our requirements and earned this ukulele" stock.

The Methodist Church group adults will be doing a group purchase of Eddy Finn Minnows, and we'll be using the Dolphins for the kids until they figure out whehter or not they're serious.

Hey! Yes, I am moving to the mountains. Meadows of Dan Virginia in Floyd County (Bluegrass land yall!) Are we gonna be close? I gots me 15 acres, so I will have a uke shop and hoping to eventually build a stage! Tee hee hee!

Yes, I was able to get 20 ukes for a classroom for very little money. Fortunately, I got donations over and beyond what I was expecting, so I am holding on to those funds hoping to help another classroom soon. I am waiting for the "right fit" to come around.

With my program I am trying to focus it to supplying in-class donations for lower-income school music programs, or schools in need for one reason or another. I used to work with low-income at risk youth, so my heart goes out to kids like that. The classroom I helped was primarily the kids who could not afford instruments for orchestra and band, so they had to be in "general music". My sister wanted to convert the "leftover class" into a class these kids would be proud to be in. I want the ukes I am able to provide to be able to be used year after year in as many music classes as possible so that it can get into as many kids' hands as possible. Basically, I want the most bang for every donated buck. I have a few connections in the industry to get ukes for even less than my cost for classroom purposes and I think I am going to make it a bi-yearly thing. If a child, or a few children show promise, and they need to have a uke to take home with them so they can excel and you feel they will take care, love, and practice their instrument, I hope the teachers are able to raise some minimal funds for that purpose and then... PLEASE PM ME! Now, I can only do but so much of this a year (because it takes a lot of time). BUT... I can get you a couple ukes at my cost and will donate the time to set up the uke making it easy for little fingers! Does that make sense?

OK, as for what I am doing with the extra money. Sort of sitting on it, cause I want to try to do this twice a year. AND... I am moving... AND... there is a school (it will not be my kids school, but it is close to my house), that burned to the ground. The sad thing is, it was a neat charming, old building. The families and kids that go there are very close. A lot of the people in the mountains live below the poverty level. So I am hoping to see if they need more instruments for their classes and maybe work in partnership with the music teacher to bring ukuleles into that school. I am sure they lost all their musical instruments. If, however, I find there isnt a need or want, I will be opening this money up for another school for the start of next school year!

John that's so very inspiring!

Thanks for your example.

My sponsors bought 10 Makala Dolphin ukes for me to carry around to my programs.

The Eddy Finn Minnows are our "you've completed our requirements and earned this ukulele" stock.

The Methodist Church group adults will be doing a group purchase of Eddy Finn Minnows, and we'll be using the Dolphins for the kids until they figure out whehter or not they're serious.

Great Maiyah888!

Hey! Yes, I am moving to the mountains. Meadows of Dan Virginia in Floyd County (Bluegrass land yall!) Are we gonna be close? I gots me 15 acres, so I will have a uke shop and hoping to eventually build a stage! Tee hee hee!

Yes, I was able to get 20 ukes for a classroom for very little money. Fortunately, I got donations over and beyond what I was expecting, so I am holding on to those funds hoping to help another classroom soon. I am waiting for the "right fit" to come around.

With my program I am trying to focus it to supplying in-class donations for lower-income school music programs, or schools in need for one reason or another. I used to work with low-income at risk youth, so my heart goes out to kids like that. The classroom I helped was primarily the kids who could not afford instruments for orchestra and band, so they had to be in "general music". My sister wanted to convert the "leftover class" into a class these kids would be proud to be in. I want the ukes I am able to provide to be able to be used year after year in as many music classes as possible so that it can get into as many kids' hands as possible. Basically, I want the most bang for every donated buck. I have a few connections in the industry to get ukes for even less than my cost for classroom purposes and I think I am going to make it a bi-yearly thing. If a child, or a few children show promise, and they need to have a uke to take home with them so they can excel and you feel they will take care, love, and practice their instrument, I hope the teachers are able to raise some minimal funds for that purpose and then... PLEASE PM ME! Now, I can only do but so much of this a year (because it takes a lot of time). BUT... I can get you a couple ukes at my cost and will donate the time to set up the uke making it easy for little fingers! Does that make sense?

OK, as for what I am doing with the extra money. Sort of sitting on it, cause I want to try to do this twice a year. AND... I am moving... AND... there is a school (it will not be my kids school, but it is close to my house), that burned to the ground. The sad thing is, it was a neat charming, old building. The families and kids that go there are very close. A lot of the people in the mountains live below the poverty level. So I am hoping to see if they need more instruments for their classes and maybe work in partnership with the music teacher to bring ukuleles into that school. I am sure they lost all their musical instruments. If, however, I find there isnt a need or want, I will be opening this money up for another school for the start of next school year!

Awww shoot...5 hours away. I'm near Winchester. Way to go Mim. Keep up the good work. I'll let you know how things are coming along. Of course, yes, I'll buy a few ukes for less than cost. I'll p.m. you!

Thanks!

Awww shoot...5 hours away. I'm near Winchester. Way to go Mim. Keep up the good work. I'll let you know how things are coming along. Of course, yes, I'll buy a few ukes for less than cost. I'll p.m. you!

Thanks!

To clarify: This is not below my cost, it is below retail. I can not afford to eat any of the money right now. (I hae in the past, but I cant anymore, it gets to be too much) So I donate my time in getting the ukes, setting them up, and sending them out. In the past this has amounted sometimes to hours of work. Once it was 12 hours in one sitting. BUT, at that, just right now my time is limited so I have to be pretty darn picky for now. With the move, and order, and what not. Also, right now I am about to move to a house that needs a lot of work, gotta pinch the pennies. BUT... I can donate some time. But even donating shipping, etc. is beyond my reach right now. Sort of already met my quota for that for a little bit.

Last edited:
Sorry about the misunderstanding mim. I totally get it. Wonder how long it's going to take me to re-string and set up the 25 ukes that are coming!

Top Bottom