Truss Rods?

AlaskaTheo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm just starting out with ukulele building, and have a few in the works, none finished, just an accumulating pile of both useable and unusable pieces. I may be taking a backwards approach but I'm now getting to some necks for both soprano and tenor ukes. I've made my soundboards with rosettes, backs, bent sides, cut pieces for bracing, made kerfed strips, and cut my first fret board the other day.

Somewhere along the way I got the impression that maybe I might not need to worry about truss rods given the short neck and lower tension of a ukulele. However, after reading through some threads on this forum, I'm left to reconsider, especially now that I am getting to the point that I need to make that decision. Do I need them? If so what kind and where should I get them? I dont see them marketed for ukes

I imagine that it might be based somewhat on wood type as well as other factors I'm probably not considering. For necks as well as backs and sides I'm using purple heart, walnut, and Alaskan birch (this may be a poor choice but I cut and mill it myself)(for seperate ukes not mixed) . The purple heart I picked up a while back on a whim and the walnut was leftover from some other projects. Once I figure this out I'll invest in better wood.

As far as the rest of the wood, white spruce soundboards (resawawn by me from a local mill), ebony, brazillian cherry, and purple heart? for fret boards. The ebony I picked up when I was a teenager (probably 20 years ago) and have waited for the day I would begin my instrument building, The Brazillian cherry was left in my shop by a freind, and my daughter wants a uke that is all purple. Not that these should matter for the truss question, just to let you know what I'm up to. I pretty excited about the whole thing.

and by the way, thanks to all. I have been reading posts for a little while now and love the forum.

Thanks,

I notice online a big difference in price (far less) through sources other than the luthier supply catalogs that I have. Apparently there are some differences in manufacturing and in matrix material that can affect its properties. Is there a type more suited for this type of application, or anything to look for or avoid? It seems like epoxy based is the standard. but then again I just learned about all of this today.

Also, I noticed from what I found that epoxy and cryanoacylates are suitable for bonding. I'm not fond of either, are there other options? I hate the spell of epoxy, and have had mixed experience with superglue. I end up using more PVA than I should. But I'll use what I have to.

As far as placement, I imagine I'll run it as long as the fretboard just shy of the nut and take it to the end of the tenon joint where it meets the neck block? any worries here?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I run mine through into the headstock bevelling the end to be flush with the headstock. Adds reinforcement to the nut area that is typically one of the weakest spots on a neck.

While epoxy glue is not all that much fun to use for many people. I do think it's about the best option when it comes to inlaying the CF.

I buy my CF from a couple of specialty online sources. Just depends on who's got what I want at a decent price. Much less than going to StewMac or other Luthier Suppliers.

Here's where I get my CF .325x.125x18". It's product# 300100. Slightly cheaper than the $17 Stew-mac wants

http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list.shtml?cat=specials

While you're there get some fibreglass go bars. Product# 007385.

I glue in with epoxy. Would prefer to use hide glue but don't want to find out in ten years time that it doesn't last.

Ditto on the carbon fiber rods....but only for tenor necks. I don't bother with shorter scales

Thanks guys, I'll be putting in an order.

Thanks allen for the sugestion of running it through the headstock, I'll go ahead with that.

and thanks Liam for the Go-bars sugestion, I'll get some. The sugestion got me thinking and sent me searching through old threads. I'll admit that the notion of clamping on a radiused board intimidated me and I was planning on a flat build, but after reading a few discussions I'm again changing my plans.

It's not that I ever thought that this was going to be easy, but wow there is a lot to learn.

Top Bottom