What were the truly NEW uke models that came out at NAMM?

I hadn't seen the new banjo ukes from Luna before. Also, the all spalted maple ukes from Kala were new to me. Kala had some other new tone wood options as well. Ohana showed a thin travel uke with amplification as a prototype.

It was good to see in-person a lot of the new models, even though I had heard about them. Ohana had some nice new combinations of tone woods, and I was curious about the new Kala Acacia Thinline travel uke. Those Kamoa ukes look just like their photos on the website.... I would love a green one.
–Lori

Lori, thanks for the summary! Were you at NAMM to display your Uke Leashes? Did you get to see/play Kala's new golden acacia travel ukes? I'm curious about how they sound compared to Kala's sprucetop travel ukes. Did Kala happen to say when their golden acacia line would become available? Thanks!

Lori, thanks for the summary! Were you at NAMM to display your Uke Leashes? Did you get to see/play Kala's new golden acacia travel ukes? I'm curious about how they sound compared to Kala's sprucetop travel ukes. Did Kala happen to say when their golden acacia line would become available? Thanks!
I did not have a booth at NAMM (too expensive), but the Ohana booth was showing my Uke Leash.

It is hard to hear much in the convention center, but I did a side-by-side sound test on the new Kala thin line travel acacia next to the spruce top thin line. In that environment, I could hear that the spruce top had a brighter tone. I wish I had a quieter environment to truly hear the full range of sound. I have seen a few websites that have already offered the acacia travel uke. They are very pretty in person. I like sparkly high end, so I would probably choose the spruce for sound based on that very limited test. I love the look of the acacia though.

–Lori

I did not have a booth at NAMM (too expensive), but the Ohana booth was showing my Uke Leash.

It is hard to hear much in the convention center, but I did a side-by-side sound test on the new Kala thin line travel acacia next to the spruce top thin line. In that environment, I could hear that the spruce top had a brighter tone. I wish I had a quieter environment to truly hear the full range of sound. I have seen a few websites that have already offered the acacia travel uke. They are very pretty in person. I like sparkly high end, so I would probably choose the spruce for sound based on that very limited test. I love the look of the acacia though.

–Lori

Thanks, Lori!

The Kamoa steel string electric ukes were pretty interesting. Martin came out with some affordable solid koa models that are made in China. Ohana also is coming out with more vintage Martin-inspired ukes like the SK-38. They also put out a Tiple. Lots of banjo-ukes from new makers, including Gretsch and Luna.

the kamoa steel string electric ukes were pretty interesting. Martin came out with some affordable solid koa models that are made in china. Ohana also is coming out with more vintage martin-inspired ukes like the sk-38. They also put out a tiple. Lots of banjo-ukes from new makers, including gretsch and luna.

Gretsch! Gretsch! Gretsch!

for me the big news was collings "mentioning" that they're working on a soprano! probably won't see it for a couple years but that blows up my skirt a bit!

I'm totally excited about those Kamoa steel string electric ukes. Not that I have any business looking to buy anything right now, but that is next on my "wish list."

Ohana new 38 series Tenor (concert not there but get ready), Ohana cedar/spruce (cedar centre spruce on either side) top wood combo . I've seen these on guitars so it will be exciting to see this come to market on a ukulele. Moku ukuleles select and Island series.
Ohana has some cool new cases too.

Top Bottom