F Major scale question

AcousticBuckeye

Reaction score
I'm currently going through Lil Rev's Ukulele Method book and the Cmajor scale finger is easy. I use all 4 fingers of my right hand for plucking so that's already set. And the Cmajor scale is all on frets 1-3 so that's easy because it's intuitively I user fingers 1-3.

For the F major scale though he may playing this:

1. String 2: Frets 1 then 3
2. String 1: Frets 0,1,3,5,7,8

I like to learn thing the correct way the first time to avoid re-learning. So my question is how you play frets 5,7 and 8 above? so far I've played 3,5,7, and 8 all with my 3rd finger(ring finger of my left hand). I'm just not certain if that's the most efficient way. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

AB

Hi

There are probably several different ways to finger this scale. Actually, there should be. The fingering may depend on how it fits in a song.

Having said that, the most natural fingering to me is

1. String 2: Frets 1 then 3 index and ring
2. String 1: Frets 0,1,3 open index and ring
2. String 1: Frets 5,7,8 then a quick shift of hand position, and use index, ring and pinky.

Cheers
Chief

Hi Acoustic Buckeye

You can also look into an F scale as

-------------------------------5---7---8--(10)--------------------------------------
-------------------5--6--8----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----(4)---5--7----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I* I R I M A I R A A**

I = index, M = middle, R = ring, A = pinky

This scale is played in the 5th position (index finger at 5th fret). I* = you slide your index finger down to 4th fret, A** = you slide your pinky up to 10th fret.

Cheers
Chief

PS: Buckeye? Ohio? I lived in Streetsboro, OH in 1996

Top Bottom