Winter walks & the friendly ukulele!

ukulefty

Reaction score
It's amazing how friendly everyone is when you're strumming away! As you do in country England when it snows, I went for a walk through the village today to see what was happening. Just on a whim, I decided to take my ukulele with me.

Amongst the many interesting people I met on my walk, I spoke with this elderly fella, who came up to me to spin a yarn or two about ukulele playing.

He told me he'd been playing for decades, that he had an old Martin ukulele at home, how he was happy to see a "younger fellow" playing the uke and how he met with a group of old friends in a local pub to play every now and then. Never knew!

We had a good chat. He had a quick strum on my Bowley, but didn't like my "backwards lefty stringing." Hehe! Although he worked out a few upside down chords and sung we a song. Then I continued on, content in the knowledge that the ever humble ukulele had spread some good vibes to a snow covered England today!

So cool to meet that way! Are you going to get together again to play? It would be interesting to hear his Martin, and you never know, you may have gotten him fired up with his hobby and he'll start learning some new tunes. A small, but golden, moment.

Great idea and great result. cheers, g2

Even in hawaii I rarely see anyone carrying a ukulele on the streets...the last time was a week ago a kid had one in his backpack after school by the bus stop....before that was like 6 months ago a kid was carrying a Uke Case in the hospital.. must be nice to run into ukers..and that guy must have had some nice stories..did you ever meet up with him and that pub..sounds like a good idea..

Happy days Lefty, good on you for spreading the love and having the courage to go out in public with your uke. I've been to a few markets down here in Tassie this summer and it's wonderful to see the different responses from folks who see you strumming a uke. Also weird how they call it every name under the sun....is that a mandolin? Nice banjo! etc etc But it always gets a response...of some kind he he. Thanks for sharing the happy trails. Cheers mate! :)

So cool to meet that way! Are you going to get together again to play?

Hopefully. I'm going to go down the local pub he mentioned where "everybody knows who he is" and see if I can meet up again. Would be cool to have a jam with him, his old friends and his vintage Martin!

thats a lovely little story Ukulefty, whilst i was camping in the lake district last summer one of the wardens on the site stopped by when he heard me plunking away on my uke and we got into a conversation about it, at the time i had only been playing for a couple of months but for the rest of my stay we always acknowledged each other and had a brief chat about the uke

Old people are so cool. He can probably play some great old tunes! I would definitely be visiting that pub soon!

Restores your faith in human nature! What a fabulous story. I really didn't think that things like that still happened in the real world. Thanks for sharing lefty. :cool:

haha. that's ace. what on earth made you take your uke out in the freezing cold!?

also where abouts in the uk are ya?

Thanks for sharing that story. I hope you have a chance to play with the guy and his friends at his pub.

There was a story here in San Francisco last year that a few people were showing up sort of spontaneously at one of the local parks on nice Sundays with ukuleles and just jamming about. Music does unite otherwise dispirate people, and the ukulele seems to be the puppy dog of instruments.

Went for another wander around the village this morning. I as chatting to another old timer I met, of course talk turned to the uke. He told me that he "once had an uncle that used to play the ukulele, but he lost his fighting on the beaches at Dunkirk, got distracted I guess!"

:)

Top Bottom