FS: Pono PTES-CM Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sealcove

Reaction score
I purchased this via the undeground marketplace a couple of months ago, as I explored getting back into playing uke. It has been a good experiment, and I have my sights on a Collings so it is time to sell this one.

The person that sold this to me listed it as a limited edition Pono, but I can't find any details about that online. Solid wood uke- Spruce top, Macassar ebony back and sides, maple binding, and the neck looks like mahogany, but I am not positive. This is a nice sounding and playing tenor that is in great shape. There is very little play wear, but there are a couple of very minor dings and what looks to be a funny spot in the grain on the top left of the fret-board. I thought it was a check at first, but the grain bends a bit, so I am pretty sure it is an imperfection in the wood.

Comes with a recent no name aftermarket hard case. $450 shipped to the continental US. sealcove@gmail.com

https://picasaweb.google.com/116144387086757157979/PonoUke

pono thumb.jpg

To me it has a nice deep and mellow tone. I have it strung with J71's and that is probably helping it in that direction. Would be happy to make a sound clip. Email me for one if that would be helpful: sealcove@gmail.com

I've got one of these myself, and I think it's a pretty sweet instrument for this price. I'm actually tempted to pick up a second one! It took me some time to find the right strings for this uke, but I also settled on the J71s. I agree with the deep and mellow description, but I think it has a nice clarity too. It doesn't have quite the sustain of my Ko'olau tenor, but it can be punchy. I feel like I have to play this uke a little harder to get the best sound out of it, but it's really a nice sound. It's kind of like a mini classical guitar. Very nice for finger picking.

sjshiner, thanks for the input and I agree with the comment about playing it a little harder to get the best sound. When I first got it, I thought it was lacking in volume, but I pretty quickly realized that it just likes a firmer touch than what I was used to. Not that it requires you to hammer on it or anything, but it certainly responds well to a solid pluck of the string. If I had the money for multiple instruments these days, I would hold onto this uke, but mandolin is my primary instrument and I promised my wife that I would keep no more than one of anything else.

The Pono has sold. Thanks for the interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom