Uke friendly luthier in NYC

grandpoobah

Reaction score
Anybody know of a good one? I tried to bring in my Ele'uke a while back to Sam Ash as I work in the area but was told they couldn't help me. I had a simple situation where I just needed the action lowered at the bridge. They told me all they could do was change the strings... nice. I ended up sanding the bridge myself and it works splendidly. I just get the feeling they don't really care for ukuleles.

On to my new situation. I got a Kala Pocket Uke, and the once again the action is way too high, this time at the nut. I'd like to get a setup on it, but i know its a bit of a dinky instrument. As it stands now the first fret is going waaaay sharp.

Any suggestions for a good NYC ukulele Luthier? I have a few other things on some uke's I'd like to have addressed too, but nothing that makes them as unplayable as this Kala Pocket.

-cheers
alex

Last edited:
i've got the same problem where i live, so i bought some nut files from Stewmac and filed the nut down myself, just a bit at a time and also did the bridge and now the uke plays just fine, but if you do it yourself just take it slowly and take it a bit at a time

Evan Gluck at New York Guitar Repair in Manhattan. Flip Scipio in Brooklyn or the folks at RetroFret, also in Brooklyn. Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island. These are all top folks.

Anybody know of a good one? I tried to bring in my Ele'uke a while back to Sam Ash as I work in the area but was told they couldn't help me. I had a simple situation where I just needed the action lowered at the bridge. They told me all they could do was change the strings... nice. I ended up sanding the bridge myself and it works splendidly. I just get the feeling they don't really care for ukuleles.

On to my new situation. I got a Kala Pocket Uke, and the once again the action is way too high, this time at the nut. I'd like to get a setup on it, but i know its a bit of a dinky instrument. As it stands now the first fret is going waaaay sharp.

Any suggestions for a good NYC ukulele Luthier? I have a few other things on some uke's I'd like to have addressed too, but nothing that makes them as unplayable as this Kala Pocket.

-cheers
alex

Sam Ash is weird. I think some stores have a setup/repair shop and others don't. I think it's up to the local store. I used to work at a "major music instrument dealer" that simply had an area set aside and they paid a local luthier to come in twice a week and do any repair work that come in the door. As I recall the luthier got all the $$$ for the labor and the store got the $$$ for parts.

Here in Indy we have a store call Reno's music(http://www.ukulelehotline.com/servlet/StoreFront). Has a really good selection of Ukes considering that Indianapolis isn't really known as a music town. So even though it's a bit a drive. That's where I'm taking my ukes from now on.

Evan Gluck at New York Guitar Repair in Manhattan. Flip Scipio in Brooklyn or the folks at RetroFret, also in Brooklyn. Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island. These are all top folks.

Seconding Evan Gluck. I've taken ukes to him a bunch of times and he's great. He knows them well. You won't find a better luthier, and at better prices. He might even do it while-you-wait if he has time!

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I probably wont go out to Mandolin Bros because its a trip, but I bought my Kamaka there had a great experience. They only had a few ukuleles, but they also only had really good ones.

seconding Retrofret or as i know it Musurgia. I discovered it on a string run and it is just an amazing place. It can be enjoyed as a Please Touch museum!

Top Bottom