Banjo uke built totally out of junk for less than 5 bucks.......

ejnovinsky

Reaction score
Built me a banjo uke this weekend....found a 4 dollar hand drum at a local crafty/knick knack type store, and was inspired. The drum is the only money I spent. (outside of strings) Everything else is found materials from around the house.....the neck was sawn and carved from a piece of hard maple firewood.....the tuners were whittled out of a kindling stick (unknown wood type) and hold crazy good for what they are. the bridge and nut whittled from scrap wood. The frets are finishing nails cut and epoxyed into slots in the neck then sanded to a decent height. All freebies....the strings cost more than the whole uke! True it shows...not a show piece, but highly functional and fun! the red paint i used on the body refuses to dry so I didnt get good pics, but Ill get some more tommorow if anyone is into seeing them. !cid__0205022222.jpg!cid__0205022222a.jpg

yes that is a patch down by the bridge too, My loving wife knocked a mug out of the cupboard and it happened to land right on top of my poor unfinished project....patched with some heavy vellum and glue, and holding very well........all good instruments have scars right?

Thanks for the inspiration! It is a cutie. Can we get a sound clip maybe??

My loving wife knocked a mug out of the cupboard and it happened to land right on top of my poor unfinished project....
It's funny how loving wives are prone to accidents around ukuleles. I only had my uke a few days when I heard it bouncing and clattering off the tiled hallway floor, as my loving wife accidentally let it slip out of its case. :rolleyes:

Great job, yes, sound clip please. And I was wondering all weekend if a tambourine without the jangles would be good for a banjolele body.

Not a bad project for a weekend..
:D

Excellent work! You are officially the Bear Grylls of the ukulele world! I'm looking forward to maybe hearing how this sounds.

Inspiring, thanks for sharing. Very cool!

excellent job, i am in the process of making one myself, but i need a dremel to put the curve in so the neck attaches to the drum snugly, so it is waiting patiently, one question when you attached the neck to the drum what did you use please, coz i don't know whether to bolt it on or what

If it were me I would bolt and glue, but I tend to be paranoid and over-engineer everything.
Got a spare Dremel thingy here you can borrow if you get stuck.

Well done Sir, all I do on a weekend is consume large quantities of Port and cut the grass now and then.

Ha ha, thanks for the kind words all....got to play it a little tonight, and god is it rubbish! the sound is terrible, and the intonation is foul beyond beyond compare, but I love it! I cannot fathom that those silly little whittled tuning pegs hold so well! Some of the credit for that goes to the flourocarbon strings however and their low tension. Ill get a soundclip together somehow if for nothing else comedy sake. What a fun build! Im going to keep hacking at it and maybe I can make it better, well see. Neck joint is glued and screwed, and yes making the curve in the neck to fit the drum is a pain, I used a rounded rasp, be wary its easy to go far and ruin your scale length do the curve before you set your frets, and leave a little wiggle room at the nut in case. Oh and spend more than 4 bucks on your drum.....otherwise you might get one that is more oval than actually round!

making the curve in the neck to fit the drum is a pain, I used a rounded rasp, be wary its easy to go far and ruin your scale length

How can the depth of the neck joint ruin the scale length when you have a floating bridge?

Neck joint is glued and screwed, and yes making the curve in the neck to fit the drum is a pain, I used a rounded rasp, be wary its easy to go far and ruin your scale length do the curve before you set your frets, and leave a little wiggle room at the nut in case. Oh and spend more than 4 bucks on your drum.....otherwise you might get one that is more oval than actually round!

I have realised this problem, hence the Dremel, thanx for the offer shifty, but i'll probably buy a cheap version of a dremel, i read about another guy who made his own banjo, and what he did to solve his intonation problem was to offset the neck by 3mm, by putting a wedge into the top where the neck meets the drum, its worth a try ejnovinsky and it could save you chopping up the neck base

Top Bottom