PDA

View Full Version : My first ukulele video

The Gunrunner Rimbaud
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I made this video awhile back. I thought it was bad the night I made it and it was even worse when I watched it the next morning, to the point I didn't play ukulele for a long while (it was the first time I had recorded myself playing seriously after playing by myself for a couple years)

Anyways, I figured one of the best ways to get over the shock of how bad it was and to get better would be to post it someplace where people can see it and critique it. I already know I need to practice more with a metronome because my tempo is all over the place, but I'm still trying to figure out how to memorize lyrics and transitions. I mean I rehearsed this song for a few nights before I recorded it, and even then I still had to cheat by glancing.

So anyways, here it is: me on the baritone uke playing "Gameshows Fill Our Lives" by The Mountain Goats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj5DWu_tEng

Thank you.

CoGGii
02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I left you a comment on YouTube.

blue_knight_usa
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi There, hats off to you for not being discouraged from playing and posting!
My friend Ryan who is on UU and is quite a great player and great human being taught me some basics when I started playing.
I have been playing 1 year now and his one tip was probably the one that helped me the best with my strum.

You look very stiff in your strumming motion and you are using your whole arm. Relax and just use your wrist, as he would say.
Your elbow shouldn't really have to move and your arm should stay fairly put.

So my comment is to just relax, work on your strum. Kimo Hussey who is a master (you can Google his videos which have great lessons) taught me last year at a retreat and he said two things:

1. Practice just with your right hand and forget your left hand. Hold a chord and just practice and even strum. Practice doing it softly, practice doing it loudly...but practice and keep it consistent. Don't try to learn numerous strumming patterns, just learn to strum. Patterns will all come with time.

2. Practice just with your left hand. Practice chord transitioning by picking two chords and going back and forth. Adriene has a good video on his Uke Minutes that discuss chord transitions.

Most important. Have fun.