buffing fret ends

Liam Ryan

Reaction score
Usually I use several grades of wet&dry wrapped around the end of my finger to buff the fret ends. Without fail I'd get a blister on my finger. Not happy

I noticed on one of the Mya-Moe vids, Gordon uses a finger nail buffer to buff the ends after they're shaped. So I went looking on ebay and I found these, which I ordered.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-X-Nail-Art-4-Way-Shiner-Buffer-Buffing-Block-Files-/280803534342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416131e606

They work great. I started by wrapping some P360 around the block because the roughest side still seamed a bit smooth, then worked my way up though the grits. The blocks are soft and conform enough to do a good job. They are cheap rubbish so you'd be lucky to get more than two fretboards from one buffer but at less than 50c a hit I'm not going to argue.

To top it off a 20min job is now a 5min job. I'm sold.

After rounding the corners of the frets with a "safe" file I use micro mesh, up to 4000, wrapped around a firm foam block.
BTW, we use these foam blocks for everything here and they are available in different densities. We call them "slippahs" but you may know them as flip-flops, zorries, etc. Get the thickest soled ones you can get on sale, usually only a couple of bucks at WalMart. Cut them into 3" squares on the bandsaw and shape as desired with your belt sander.

Top Bottom