Anyone like Samick Ukes?

IMHO
Samick are heavy, over built ukuleles. most of the time they seem to be first ukes, bought at Guitar center. I try to steer people away from them when I can.

I started out on the UK-60; it seems to have launched many a uke player, that instrument. I still have it, a cracking little thing.

Ask Fitncrafty about Buzz - her first uke.

-Kurt​

IMHO
Samick are heavy, over built ukuleles. most of the time they seem to be first ukes, bought at Guitar center. I try to steer people away from them when I can.
yes, totally agree. I owned one and it was quite awful really. Overbuilt for sure, top too thick, sounded dead as. Got the feeling it was built like a little guitar. I'd look everywhere else first.

I played a few in store on a number of occasions. I agree theyre a bit heavily built, but they certainly did not sound dead. They sounded better than a lot of the other ukes present, including some popular ones and had great playability. Maybe it depends on the batch?

IMHO

I agree. I use to be a dealer for them. They were overbuilt, had horrible intonation. Glad we don't have them anymore.

Ask Fitncrafty about Buzz - her first uke.

-Kurt​

Ah.. Buzz, my beloved first uke. it got its name for a reason because when I first got it, It made horrid buzzing sounds all over the fret board. Maybe I got better, maybe new strings, knowing how to change the strings properly, I don't know what. It's a playable uke with better strings and a set up. Some people really love them for a starter uke. My daughter likes it, and it's still around here. Although rarely played. Affectionately I can't give it up... Good luck with your decision.

Just saw this on another forum. I had no idea...

"Not surprisingly, it appears that the largest guitar companies in the world are Asian - Korean, to be precise. Samick and Cort.

Samick is the largest guitar maker in the world. They began corporate life as a piano maker just after the Korean war. Today they are said to make 60 guitars per minute. That's 720 per hour or 1,380,000 per year.

Their factories make an incredible 4000 models for 400 brand names, including Gibson Epiphone, Washburn, Aria Pro, Rogue, Silvertone, Abeline and Boston.

In the wicked web of corporate partnerships and cross-ownership, Samick boasts on their website that their instruments are made in Korea and Indonesia (much cheaper labor), but NOT in 'communist China.' Yet there was a well-publicized joint-venture between Samick and Bechstein to make pianos in Shanghai a couple of years back.

Samick also owns 33% of Steinway pianos. "

i bought a samick 50 today and it is the best lowend price choice one can make. sounds good and rich in tone. fretboard is in tune all the way up and down. easy to play solid built. in comparison the lanikai i own too will be sold. i never had an impact to play a new instrument for three hours in a row. just my personal view. never buy or reject buying something based on the opinion of someone. always buy it by listening to its sound by playing it and watch your finger experience. its always different

Last edited:
i bought a samick 50 today and it is the best lowend price choice one can make. sounds good and rich in tone. fretboard is in tune all the way up and down. easy to play solid built. in comparison the lanikai i own too will be sold. i never had an impact to play a new instrument for three hours in a row. just my personal view. never buy or reject buying something based on the opinion of someone. always buy it buy listening to its sound by playing it and watch your finger experience. its allways different
That's excellent. I agree, don't be swayed by what others think. Impressions of sound and feel are personal just like music itself. Congratulations on the new uke.

Top Bottom