PDA

View Full Version : Collings Uke Pickup?

Joshypogi
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Im wondering if anyone has put a pickup on a Collings uke..

Plainsong
02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I think that I read something somewhere about the bridge being too thin to take an under saddle pickup.. or something like that. But that still leaves soundboard transducers though.

Am I remembering that correctly, or talking out of my behind? Don't carve my words in stone, but maybe it's worth searching.

Joshypogi
02-06-2012, 10:40 AM
I thought it might be too delicate for under the sadlle pick-up system. Wondering if any in the forum has tried any kind of variation.

I think that I read something somewhere about the bridge being too thin to take an under saddle pickup.. or something like that. But that still leaves soundboard transducers though.

Am I remembering that correctly, or talking out of my behind? Don't carve my words in stone, but maybe it's worth searching.

Plainsong
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
You could always try emailing Collings. I've heard that they do respond to customer emails.

Edit - Audio Technica makes a cheap-but-good instrument mic. If you pair that with a cheap stand, then you can plug in happily and even effect it out if that's your thing. :)

itsscottwilder
02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
At the price point that Collings sells for, I'm either having Collings install it or I'm using a mic on a stand.

Markr1
02-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't change anything on the Collings being a previous owner. Use the mic. Just my thoughts.

mike hardee
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
The bridge base on my UT1 looks thick enough. However, the saddle is only 3/32 in. thick; if the ribbon element is wider than 3/32 in. the saddle slot would have to be routed slightly wider and a new saddle made. Personally I think I would lean toward a K&K Twin Spot internal pickup.

melodicADD
09-15-2012, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't change anything on the Collings being a previous owner. Use the mic. Just my thoughts.

I agree. Man, I'd love a Collings Uke...

jimmybookout
09-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't have a Collings ukulele, but here are my thoughts on pickups for ukuleles:
I would strongly recommend a K&K Big Shot Internal or a McIntyre Feather (both SBT's). While I don't like sound board transducers in guitars as I think there's too many overtones etc that just make them sound junky IMO. I think a SBT in an ukulele works great and sounds very natural.

K&K also makes a Twin Spot for ukuleles but I haven't tried one yet. I have one installed in my new Wixom Tenor which I should get in a couple of weeks so I'll review the ukulele and the pickup then.

FWIW, I don't like under saddle transducers in ukuleles, I find them to sound very "electric", that said, as always, YMMV.

Jimmy

Markr1
09-15-2012, 07:56 AM
I've got another one since I posted that and won't change anything on it either.
I agree. Man, I'd love a Collings Uke...

adam2180
09-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I recommended JJB Electronics, They are simple and sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67uBkqId_Y0
http://www.jjb-electronics.com/

ancient
09-18-2012, 05:40 AM
I just use a mic through a Crate Limo amp. It works great, and does not change the natural acoustic sound of my Collings uke. It is a battery powered amp with built in effects if you want to enhance the sound a bit. Easy and simple and wonderful sound.