Collings Uke Pickup?

I think that I read something somewhere about the bridge being too thin to take an under saddle pickup.. or something like that. But that still leaves soundboard transducers though.

Am I remembering that correctly, or talking out of my behind? Don't carve my words in stone, but maybe it's worth searching.

I thought it might be too delicate for under the sadlle pick-up system. Wondering if any in the forum has tried any kind of variation.

I think that I read something somewhere about the bridge being too thin to take an under saddle pickup.. or something like that. But that still leaves soundboard transducers though.

Am I remembering that correctly, or talking out of my behind? Don't carve my words in stone, but maybe it's worth searching.

You could always try emailing Collings. I've heard that they do respond to customer emails.

Edit - Audio Technica makes a cheap-but-good instrument mic. If you pair that with a cheap stand, then you can plug in happily and even effect it out if that's your thing. :)

I wouldn't change anything on the Collings being a previous owner. Use the mic. Just my thoughts.

The bridge base on my UT1 looks thick enough. However, the saddle is only 3/32 in. thick; if the ribbon element is wider than 3/32 in. the saddle slot would have to be routed slightly wider and a new saddle made. Personally I think I would lean toward a K&K Twin Spot internal pickup.

I don't have a Collings ukulele, but here are my thoughts on pickups for ukuleles:
I would strongly recommend a K&K Big Shot Internal or a McIntyre Feather (both SBT's). While I don't like sound board transducers in guitars as I think there's too many overtones etc that just make them sound junky IMO. I think a SBT in an ukulele works great and sounds very natural.

K&K also makes a Twin Spot for ukuleles but I haven't tried one yet. I have one installed in my new Wixom Tenor which I should get in a couple of weeks so I'll review the ukulele and the pickup then.

FWIW, I don't like under saddle transducers in ukuleles, I find them to sound very "electric", that said, as always, YMMV.

Jimmy

I just use a mic through a Crate Limo amp. It works great, and does not change the natural acoustic sound of my Collings uke. It is a battery powered amp with built in effects if you want to enhance the sound a bit. Easy and simple and wonderful sound.

Top Bottom