Proper playing and scratch protection?

MikeR

Reaction score
Good day =)

I am upgrading to a Pono ATD soon, and have noticed that my lanikai has a lot of scratches where the neck meets the soundboard (where I strum).

Either this is normal or I'm not playing properly...when I watch Aldrine play on vids it looks like his fingertips are just touching the strings and not the soundboard at all.

So two questions:

Do you have any tips or exercises for keeping my nails off the delicate soundboard?

Would you recommend products such as the nylon no adhesive strumsafe customizable scratch-guards? (www.strumsafe.com)

Thanks very much!

Aldrine puts a cell phone like plastic protection on his ukes. But scratches happen if you play your uke.

Thanks vanflynn for the link. I'm still very new to the uke, but I'll take some pics and post what I think of the Pono =)

I guess I'll just have a little bit of new car syndrome...want to keep it pristine until it gets it's first scratch and then not worry so much.

If its a non glossy finish I don't care about scratches, if it is a glossy finish, I make a template out of paper then cut iPad screen protector and apply it, its easily removed, and almost invisible. I used that too to put over Jake's signature.

I posted about the protectors here

Top Bottom