Fret slots by hand, or on a table saw

Chris_H

Reaction score
I am about to begin my first builds, a few at once. I recognize that setup and jigs are essential to all of this. Looking at cutting fret slots I see thast some do it by hand, and some by power tool. I am comfortable with a table saw, and hand saw. It seems like using a sled on a table saw with a template for fret location is the way to go, better than a hand saw.

For those who have done many fretboards, what do you think? Table saw or hand saw?

The only thing I regret about the table saw is that I didn't switch over sooner. The setup time is minimal and you can do a bunch of fret boards at one time. I can do quite a few in the time it took me to do one with the hand saw.

I started out with the table saw and admit that is is faster, I am now buying one of the new hand saw jigs that lmi sells. If you convert the templates that comes with it to be used on the table saw then you might have the best of both worlds. I have also found that your slde has to be exact or you get slop in it the slots will be a little big and you will have to glue the frets in. Plus the blades dull and need replaced after time and they are much more costly than the hand saw.

I think most builders start cutting by hand but as resoman mentioned as soon as you cut your first board on the table saw, you'll never look back. If you already have the table saw, the blade will be your major expense and the sled is pretty simple to make. (A good blade will slot 300 or 400 blades before getting too dull to use.) I also think you'll do a better, faster and more accurate job with the table saw. I saw recently where Stewmac has come out with a new hand cutting jig that has roller bearings but it's almost $200. It would make cutting by hand easier but you're still better off with the table saw.

I did slot my first with a table saw. And every one since. I use the LMI table saw rig, but found I prefer the StewMac blade, because the unthreaded portion of my arbor is too short to utilize the stiffners properly.

I applaud those who measure or print and cut by hand. Where the frets go is too important for me to eye it.

Steve

Thank you for the replies, looks like the table saw wins...

Cheers!

Having both and starting out with the table saw I guess I like the feel of doing it by hand. I don't make many so I would see when you make a bunch then the table saw is the best way to go. I just hate swapping out my blade. Maybe I need to have a saw set up all the time with it on it. My shop is small and having two table saws set up would be hard. I do use templates so no need to measure each one. I would also never trust a printer for the correct spacing ever.

All this said, re. table saw... If you want to be a good luthier, you should have the skill level required to do accurate fret slotting by hand. It's just not that hard to do if you've got chops. I'm a strong advocate of having the skills to truly build by hand...and then using the best tools and technology that is appropriate for your chosen level of output whether that's one uke a year or five hundred or whatever. Hand tools, hand held power tools, air tools, major traditional shop power tools, CNC machine, laser, whatever; but it's good to have the training in your muscle memory and eyes.

All this said, re. table saw... If you want to be a good luthier, you should have the skill level required to do accurate fret slotting by hand. It's just not that hard to do if you've got chops. I'm a strong advocate of having the skills to truly build by hand...and then using the best tools and technology that is appropriate for your chosen level of output whether that's one uke a year or five hundred or whatever. Hand tools, hand held power tools, air tools, major traditional shop power tools, CNC machine, laser, whatever; but it's good to have the training in your muscle memory and eyes.

Well said, This is why I went to fretting by hand. I was given the saw blade when I first started building and then realized there was more to it then making a cut. A hand saw or table saw will make the same cut. its where they cut that is more important. Being a machinist I thought I could just use a caliper and measure off each slot and with a good marking knife make a mark and move on. I was wrong and learned the hard way. Templates are worth there weight in gold to me. Makes life easier and takes out all the guessing for me. I have seen people use them with the table saw and that has to be the best of both worlds. I will get back there someday. For me its a love of working with the wood and feeling it as I go. I don't make many so its time well spent. I saw Petes jig he made with a hand saw and it is even a totally different way to go all together. Thanks Rick I was feeling like I was in the dark ages for a minute. I guess when I try to do this for a living, if ever, then I will rethink this all together. Check out Petes vid on his saw.

Last edited:
You could also build a house out of toothpicks too, given you had enough time and enough toothpicks. I just don't see the point though.
Yes it's important to know how to do all of this stuff by hand in order to understand the process. But I'm not talking about just the time involved but quality as well. The quality of a cut made by hand will never match the precision of a slot made with good power equipment.

I cut my first 15 fretboards by hand and the intonation just fine. All I used was a fret saw, machinist square, and a template I drew up in AutoCAD. I then found an old Rockwell (I think it is a "Home time")table saw on Craig’s list for 50.00 and bought the Stewmac blade. I now have a dedicated fret saw that doesn’t take up much room at all. Also the quality of the saw is so much better than anything I can find at Home Cheapo.

I will say that while I think I can cut fret slots just as good as my table saw, I do sleep better at night without the nagging feeling I cut one of them slightly off.

I did build a house with toothpics, or 1 x 6 tongue and groove at least, and lap siding 3" to the weather, t&g cathedral cielings with equal span dormers, all cut with a Japanese handsaw. I had no power. It took 18 years to finish. I would never build a house like that again.. Yes, I love the feel of cutting a precisipon cut with a hand tool. I have several nice Japanese saws for specific tasks in my shop for building turntable plinths. I still use power tools when possible. I used to suffer from romanticism, badly, now I just appreciate it...

I enjoy using my fretmaster slotting machine and I loathed using that screaming table saw. I've said it before and it is worth repeating: there is an unusual but not peverse attraction to the table saw in North America. I am amazed at the ingenuity of NA woodworkers who exploit this tool beyond what I what is often humanly possible and yet, despite my admiration and awe, I won't have one in my workshop. It's why I designed the quiter option...

Top Bottom