soundboards on the fluke

kaizersoza

Reaction score
OUCH!! just dropped my chromatic tuner onto the soundboard of my fluke, the wood is pretty soft on these, so as a warning guys be extra careful with these ukes, i now have 3 dents on the soundboard one from my cell phone and 2 from the tuner which just happened to bounce joyfully onto another part of the soundboard, this uke has been camping and hiking with me without a mark, all the dents have happened in my bedroom, its starting to look 'MEAN' though lol :(

I've noticed how soft they are too. I have a Flea that is my travel Uke. This also makes it my "constantly kicking it around the house" Uke. The soft wood dings easily, but I feel like it holds up well to changes in humidity.

I kind of wish they sold the soundboard like they used to sell cellphone faceplates...

Last edited:
I like the look of the Tenor Fluke - I wish they didn't get so many confusing choices of colour/design. For some reason I'm drawn to the red cowboy one... :)

Anyway, is it your main uke?

I have a soprano flea and a concert fluke.
Both are "natural" color hoop pine.
Any kind of pine is soft and will dent.
I imagine cedar and spruce will be the same.
So far, no matter what ukuleles I try or buy, I keep coming back to the flea as my go to instument.
It's traveled with me everywhere and has held up wonderfully.
As far as I'm concerned, dings are cool.
They add character and history and don't hurt the sound output.
If I had a $1000+ Hawaiian made koa masterpiece, I might feel differently.
I want to see pictures of that mean instrument too.
And quit throwing stuff at your fluke!

Australian Hoop Pine or Mahogany, 1.5mm thick, 3 ply
Dents are purely superficial. You don't have to worry about cracks unless you decide to bounce your phone off it from a greater height. ;)

this is my mean mutha, but these were taken when it was new and when i was camping, i have also got some freemont blacklines to go on there then it will look really, really mean, so i'll take some fresh pics then, only problem is the aquilas are still going strong lol

DSCF0430.jpgDSCF0427.jpg06072011049.jpg08072011050.jpg08072011051.jpg

I like the look of the Tenor Fluke - I wish they didn't get so many confusing choices of colour/design. For some reason I'm drawn to the red cowboy one... :)

Anyway, is it your main uke?

its my go to uke bongo, i use it for practice a lot more than the other ukes i own, it's also the uke that i take with me when i go to my lesson or go to uke club, i love it and if anything happens to it i would buy another one tomorrow no question, maybe with the upgraded rosewood fret board though, nothing against the plastic one but they can wear when using wound strings apparently and also when your hands get a bit sweaty they do tend to slip a little

Top Bottom