Bill Collings - Guitar Maker

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Just watched an interesting video about Bill and his guitars following a link in Uke Talk forum. I met him in 1994 before he moved into the larger dedicated facility and had my thinking about a lot of things changed in one afternoon. Got a lot to thank Bill for :)

At the end of the video he says, "I'm Bill Collings and I'm a guitar maker..." I don't think the noun 'luthier' crops up at all. My mate and fellow workshop tenant Rauni Higson (silversmith and jeweler) said when I took up my workshop - "It will be nice to have another 'maker' in the building..." I like that definition.

My mate and fellow workshop tenant Rauni Higson (silversmith and jeweler) said when I took up my workshop - "It will be nice to have another 'maker' in the building..." I like that definition.

I'm fortunate enough to have my workshop in 'Craft Village', basically a row of converted cow sheds, where all of the occupants are 'Makers' (including an artisan silversmith). It is nice to be surrounded by like minded people without any direct competition. Nothing but the raw materials come into the village, but some amazing artefacts get produced. The winter, however, can be a bit bleak! ;)
snow village.jpg

Top Bottom