Does "Makai" have an official website?

They are a California company based in San Francisco, but you rarely see these in Northern California, not even used on eBay. I suspect their sales are pretty low, or maybe they market mostly overseas?...

I look for them from time to time because they have a pretty good reputation but they almost never show up as used.

Look at the ABOUT US page by following the link in the merlin666 post above ... looks like they are following the off center sound hole trend with their latest model!

They are a California company based in San Francisco, but you rarely see these in Northern California, not even used on eBay. I suspect their sales are pretty low, or maybe they market mostly overseas?...

I look for them from time to time because they have a pretty good reputation but they almost never show up as used.

Look at the ABOUT US page by following the link in the merlin666 post above ... looks like they are following the off center sound hole trend with their latest model!
There was a FB post with a very odd shaped uke that prompted my curiosity. A search here on UU yielded about 10 pages of results, with some reports of issues and dealers that come and go over night. They range from about $60 to more than 1000 for supposed Hawaiian Koa uke but majority below $300.

There was a FB post with a very odd shaped uke that prompted my curiosity. A search here on UU yielded about 10 pages of results, with some reports of issues and dealers that come and go over night. They range from about $60 to more than 1000 for supposed Hawaiian Koa uke but majority below $300.
Right... I just checked Reverb, which I rarely do, and there are a ton, with some of the oddest shapes I have ever seen included.

Reverb prices always seem on the upper to high end though, so I don't spend much time there. eBay is more like a treasure hunt, but every once in a while there is a bargain. The Makais on Reverb all look like they are priced close to retail to me...

There is a music store in the Richmond District in SF that may showcase Makai ukuleles. They may actually be the owners of the company or have a close association with them. Their webpage shows about 75 different Makai ukuleles available for purchase:

Top Bottom