Gretsch Roots Collection

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I really like the looks of the new ukulele line from Gretsch, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

Can anyone who was at NAMM talk about how they sounded?

There was a blog post yesterday on Gretsch's site that has a link to large photos on flickr, like the one posted below:

XtaJQ.jpg

Sweetwater at Winter NAMM - Gretsch "Roots" Collection Overview

When I was there I did not see Gretch at all. I think they were in the fender booth. It is stuff like this that needed to be in the daily mag so people would see it. I wish they would have done the triangle sound holes on the Ukes. I am hoping that I can get a couple to review some time soon, But Fender is super weird about review instruments so we will see

I thought they all sounded REALLY good! The Concert & Tenor Deluxe models were all solid Mahogany, and the Standard models (and Tenor cutaway) were Laminated. Both sounded great though! Very full sounding. I'm planning on getting a Tenor Deluxe as a travel instrument :D

Below are the street prices, I thought for an all solid instrument the Deluxe models are going to be BIG sellers, I can't wait til they get here. If anyone wants to preorder one let me know :)

Concert Deluxe $269
Tenor Deluxe $279
Tenor Cutaway w/ electronics $219
Soprano STD $99
Concert STD $119
Tenor STD $129

ALL INCLUDE GIGBAGS

Anyone know how to contact Michael Lewis who was the Gretsch rep. Love to get a copy of that 20's catalog or even just find out when Gretsch started making ukes (I have one with wooden tuners). TIA, g2

Mahalo Seeso for the heads up on Gretsch Ukes and Pedal Freak on the info and prices..gotta look into it..Stan

Really glad to hear Gretsch is making ukuleles again! I am a little bummed to see no solid wood soprano....I guess this is the way the ukulele world is going, concert and tenor are now the standards. However, I am interested to check them out! Still don't have a vintage one in my stable.

Would be more fun if they built a killer price-no-object instrument, but money is money I suppose. They don't actually look that inspiring, but nor am I down on them, so the more the merrier! :)

I suppose it is nice to have some more competition in the market, but it really does seem like it's starting to get a bit saturated at around this price point for instruments.

Which isn't to say that's necessarily a bad thing since it means that manufacturers are going to have to start stepping up their game to rise above the crowd with some bigger bang for the buck ukuleles. But it does seem like every guitar maker is trying to break into the market pretty much all at once and cash in on some name recognition with some generally pretty mediocre wares. (As compared to say Ohana, who make some really decent instruments for the same cash.) But I'd still like to see what they're offering in person. Hopefully something a lot better than Fender.

I do also have to say that since the Gretsch brand was reintroduced, they've kind of seriously devalued the legacy with some not so good and cheap instruments. I mean, I'd have a hard time selling off my '67 Country Gentleman, but I probably wouldn't look twice at a new one. There have been quite a few duds in their revamped line.

I suppose it is nice to have some more competition in the market, but it really does seem like it's starting to get a bit saturated at around this price point for instruments.

Which isn't to say that's necessarily a bad thing since it means that manufacturers are going to have to start stepping up their game to rise above the crowd with some bigger bang for the buck ukuleles. But it does seem like every guitar maker is trying to break into the market pretty much all at once and cash in on some name recognition with some generally pretty mediocre wares. (As compared to say Ohana, who make some really decent instruments for the same cash.) But I'd still like to see what they're offering in person. Hopefully something a lot better than Fender.

I do also have to say that since the Gretsch brand was reintroduced, they've kind of seriously devalued the legacy with some not so good and cheap instruments. I mean, I'd have a hard time selling off my '67 Country Gentleman, but I probably wouldn't look twice at a new one. There have been quite a few duds in their revamped line.

At least Gretsch has some history in Ukes. It is odd to see everyone jump into the Uke market. Fender? Really? But profit is profit I guess. And at Gretsch price points even the deluxe models are going to be factory made. So whether you like it or not, there's going to be quality control issues.

I thought they all sounded REALLY good! The Concert & Tenor Deluxe models were all solid Mahogany, and the Standard models (and Tenor cutaway) were Laminated. Both sounded great though! Very full sounding. I'm planning on getting a Tenor Deluxe as a travel instrument :D

Below are the street prices, I thought for an all solid instrument the Deluxe models are going to be BIG sellers, I can't wait til they get here. If anyone wants to preorder one let me know :)

Concert Deluxe $269
Tenor Deluxe $279
Tenor Cutaway w/ electronics $219
Soprano STD $99
Concert STD $119
Tenor STD $129

ALL INCLUDE GIGBAGS

No solid wood soprano? :iwant:

Has anyone heard any kind of timeline as to when these new Gretsch ukes will be available?

Thanks. One of those deluxe tenors may be in the cards for me if they sound good. Back when I was in high school and first starting to play guitar I passed on a beautiful 60's era Gretsch 6120 guitar with a fantastic action that a guy was selling for $200. I've regretted it ever since. I know the price point is low/ mid range, but I hope that Gretsch is putting some work into these and not just bringing out a uke line because they think they can make a quick buck.

Fender now owns the Gretch brand. This looks like a branding exercise to me. The Asian quality control has definitely improved a great deal, but I think that the real value in Asian made ukes is from the uke-centric specialty brands like Mainland, Ohana, Mele, and Kala. And buying from one of the retailers that does setup pretty much guarantees a nice uke at an affordable price point.

My guess is that the Gretch line will be found mostly in the mass-marketers like Guitar Center and Sam Ash where customers value "new in the box" more than a good manual setup Let's see if Uke Republic or Hawaii Music Supply starts to carry these...

Fender now owns the Gretch brand. This looks like a branding exercise to me. The Asian quality control has definitely improved a great deal, but I think that the real value in Asian made ukes is from the uke-centric specialty brands like Mainland, Ohana, Mele, and Kala. And buying from one of the retailers that does setup pretty much guarantees a nice uke at an affordable price point.

My guess is that the Gretch line will be found mostly in the mass-marketers like Guitar Center and Sam Ash where customers value "new in the box" more than a good manual setup Let's see if Uke Republic or Hawaii Music Supply starts to carry these...

You're right. There are very good imports being built now, but local setup, by people who know and play ukes is key. I've had some bad experiences trying to get ukulele work done, even by some very respected local guitar shops, known for having great luthiers. There is still a perception by some that you should just settle for a uke with a bad action, setup, etc. because it's just not worth their time to work on it, or that it's as good as it's going to get. I wasn't aware of the Fender/ Gretsch connection. I hope these turn out better than the recent Epiphone ukes. I have one, and for a $100 bucks it's fun to play, but it could have been done soo much better.

Fender management is most likely not running Gretsch. Fender also owns Guild and Ovation. They have done good things with the Guild GAD series of guitars (high quality Chinese imports).

Fender management is most likely not running Gretsch. Fender also owns Guild and Ovation. They have done good things with the Guild GAD series of guitars (high quality Chinese imports).
Please don't take this as a burn, but taking a company like Guild (All hand built in the U.S.A. until fender took them over) and having an import with their name on it is not a good thing IMO

Has anyone heard any kind of timeline as to when these new Gretsch ukes will be available?

When I ordered them all I was told anytime between April and June.

I played all of these at NAMM and if they continue to make them the same it'll be a shame if the bigger uke stores don't carry them, but it'll be more business for me :D It's not a branding thing, Fender owns Gretsch, but Gretsch have their own management. They brought in a "Gretsch Historian" to do the Gretsch Roots Collection, and knowing the amount of work Gretsch did for this line, and research I doubt there will be major problems with this line.

+1 The GAD series is great, Gretsch reps on a monthly basis visit this factory and check things out. When i was selling Guild I never had any issues with the GAD series, but the American line was a different story.

Top Bottom