New to building......stains??????

Geeg94

Reaction score
Hi i am currently putting together a grizzly kit and have a few questions about finish

1. how would o go about finishing the fret board or staining it a different color?

i have looked at the fret board oil from Stewart MacDonald but i want a light fret board on my uke and the oil will make it dark.

2. is there anything i could use just to seal the fret board that is clear. i just want the natural wood color to show through.

thanks

I would think clear wipe-on poly is OK for the fretboard. You can choose either 'satin', semi-gloss or gloss here.
Another one is clear lacquer spray.

i am useing a clear semi gloss finish on the body of the uke i can just use that on the fret board just a thinner cote? What about the frets do i wipe it over them and then wipe the finish off as it drys?

A finish usually isn't used on the fret board of an acoustic instrument. I'd advise against it. I use a citrus oil (Howard's Wax & Feed) and sometimes a bit of Renaissance wax if I'm looking for a higher finish. Leather dyes are sometimes used to darken or change the color of a finger board.

The finger board on my grizzly kit was a piece of wood paneling with a hard plastic finish on it.

Mine was too. Unless you really want to change the color of the fretboard, I'd just leave it. You really only need to finish the neck and body with the Grizzly kit.

Top Bottom