Looking for vintage tuners...Martin Style 2

Rick Turner

Reaction score
I was given a mild wreck of a Martin Style 2 soprano, circa 1930 plus or minus a few years, and I'd love to find some vintage tuners for it. Any ideas?

Got the full length side crack glued; need to patch a hole in the back; then clean it and do a light FP finish restoration on it. It'll be a nice player...no longer just a wall hanger.

Also - Bob Smakula in West Virginia and Retrofret in Brooklyn, NY. Both carry lots of vintage.

Martin used a couple of different tuners around then; they used those standard/generic barrel tuners, they used Grover friction tuners, and then used these odd proto-friction tuners, which is what's on my style 2 - I've no idea who made them but they are original. The whole assembly turns, even the plates. The only thing that doesn't turn is the red rubber gasket under the plates on front and back of headstock. They're almost like violin pegs, except that they're metal and can be tightened/adjusted. They work fine, but are rare as hen's teeth and I'm not sure that you aren't better off with the Grovers, if given a choice.

I met Bob Smakula at NAMM, I've bought from John, and I know Steve Uhrick at Retro. I'll try them. These are the tuners with the stay-put hex bushings in the face of the peghead. This is one of those cases where I'd just as soon not mod the instrument. It'll never be perfect with the damage and all, but I'd like it as vintage as possible.

You might do what i did on my 1920's style 2 Martin soprano. I didn't change a thing on the ukulele, but the Grover friction pegs had one metal bushing turned down to fit the original peghead holes, and a few other things done. The link below shows what i did.

My style 2 originally used wooden friction pegs,......but the altered Grovers are smoother & easier to make tuning adjustments. At any point i can go back to the original setup, however, if i feel the need.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Peghead-Modifications!&highlight=martin+style

Last edited:
Top Bottom