bang around uke ideas?

ukulelelalala

Reaction score
I'd like to throw a uke in my car (i know, that's why I titled this "bang around uke") preferably out of the sun and in a case. I like the idea of practicing in my car while waiting for my daughter while she is in soccer practice, etc. It seems like I could get in a solid hour of practice in my car several days a week. The thing is, I want to practice on something that is the same scale (size) as what I am using. I am using a tenor. I'm not so concerned with great sound (but it should be in the ballpark). I'm more interested in fingering drills, exercises and song practice.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard of plastic ukes. Are they durable? Should I just buy a banged up (but playable) wooden uke from ebay? Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Joe

I suppose the first question might be about budget.

If you're looking for low price (like sub $150), there are several to consider. Virtually any lam Kala, Lanikai, Eddy Finn, Riptide, Luna, etc would fit the bill, though I would strongly suggest you look at the Islander.

If you're considering below $100, then you may be restricted to Makala, Makai, and other bargain guys.

Of course, if you're open to $200 - $300, the doors open nice and wide. Of course, I don't know that many folks who would think that a $200 uke is a knockaround, but people swear by Flea/Fluke, which are plastic and about $200, so I may be wrong ...

Last edited:
I live in New York City and I guess I'm expecting that it might get damaged from being in the car in all types of weather (hot and cold) and maybe even the possibility that it could be stolen. With that in mind, I was thinking of maybe a slightly banged up and used (but functioning) one for $50... I could live with it getting damaged or lost/stolen... maybe i could browse ebay for something?

I live in New York City and I guess I'm expecting that it might get damaged from being in the car in all types of weather (hot and cold) and maybe even the possibility that it could be stolen. With that in mind, I was thinking of maybe a slightly banged up and used (but functioning) one for $50... I could live with it getting damaged or lost/stolen... maybe i could browse ebay for something?

Getting a tenor for $50 may be a rough gamble. And I would expect that you probably won't find much quality or sound difference across whatever may be available at the price. Even raising your budget to about $75 or so would still limit your options.

Not that there aren't tenors out there at that price, but honestly, I would be very surprised if one wasn't much the same as another.

Best of luck!

I use my Makala to bang around. Just put Aquilas on it, fine for practice. When I got my "serious" uke in finally, I found that all the practice on the Makala had gone to good purpose.

I use my Kala travel. it is lighter, thinner, has its own gig bag that comes with it, and has a spruce top and Aquilla strings. It works for me. I still get good sound, projection and size - low price, and beats taking my Kamaka, Kanile's, and KoAloha out.

I would be very surprised if that is solid Hawaiian Koa. More likely it is Acacia "Koa" and a laminate.

Aside from practicing on the same scale, you might also consider string spacing (width at nut). I find a significant difference in playing a uke with 1.5" nut width vs 1.375".

There was a recent thread about leaving a uke in the car. Many wrote that they would not leave any uke in a car 24/7. Even a Dolphin uses glue that can melt. Why not get a decent practice uke and bring it back inside your home or workplace when you're not running around? Think of it like a laptop.

That's a good idea. I suppose I could try it. Still, I wouldn't want it to be either of the two ukes I currently have... As far as nut width is concerned, is that a simple change that can be made like lowering the action on an uke?

Also, I have read the information on the website concerning the koa uke. It says that the front, back and sides are solid koa. How can they say that if it is laminate? It's a new product and I knee-jerkedly (probably not a word) purchased one. So, I will write a short review on it when I get it, and let you know what I can discern about it from my limited knowledge of koa, etc. If it sounds decent, it may work as a car uke, just something I can use while killing time in the car... it's not a tenor, but at least i can practice some chords, etc...

joe

As far as nut width is concerned, is that a simple change that can be made like lowering the action on an uke?
No. It's constrained by the width of the fret board. In any case, the Soprano is different in other ways from a Tenor, so you will need to adapt your playing when you change ukes. I'm a beginner and personally find it difficult to play the smaller scales, but many here comfortably switch between the various sizes.

Also, I have read the information on the website concerning the koa uke. It says that the front, back and sides are solid koa. How can they say that if it is laminate?
I'm a cynical old grump, so I'm assuming they are lying. I hope I'm wrong and you get a great deal. Let us know when you get the uke and inspect it.

You can return it if you ordered from Amazon. But for that price it could still be a pretty good deal even if it is a laminate. It would certainly serve as a bang around uke better than if it was truly solid koa.

Finally, somebody bought one of these Badaax SOLID KOA ukes. Can't wait to see if it's a scam or not!

I'll let you know... It's already on its way with a tracking number... So far, they get an "A" for fast shipping....

Feh. For $50 you should expect a $50 uke. If it's better then you've made a great purchase.

But solid koa? I think there's a better chance of me winning the presidential election.

I use a Samick uke for that same purpose. Inexpensive, very good sound for the money, and durable. Throw on some high quality strings and you're good to go.

Top Bottom