Anybody heard of Mitchell ukuleles?

Mitchell

Looks pretty. Iwould think if you're looking for an ukulele in Hawaii, you could find something tried and true for the same money.

Whoa...$160!!!!!!!!! They go for $99 in the big box music stores. I saw one like this go for $40 on ebay recenly. They get very good reviews "for a $99 uke" on those sites.

I have a Mitchell MU-70. It is completely identical in size and shape to an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 I also have. To the point where I suspect they're made in the same factory, with the same forms/molds/blueprints/whatever they use to make ukes. :) They only differ in wood type, inlays, etc. Both are very nice-looking.

And it has the same issues the Oscar Schmidt has too: A bit overbuilt, so it doesn't really project like other ukuleles do. And the set-up from the factory is hit-and-miss.

JJ

Mahalo Guys ...I was thinking to buy it for my sister for her first uke...she just officially became a senior citizen....her son told her to get one since she is a widow..
Same like the OU5 JJ, wow I was really thinking of giving her that my OU5... I never played that more than an hour and I had it for at least two years.. you're
right it's muted...thanks guys almost jumped on this one..what 40.00 phil..holy smokes...rarely buy ukes from the big box sellers..

Hey, Stan.

I played a couple of Mitchells at a Guitar Center back when I was trying to decide on my first Ukulele.

Comparing it to a few Lunas, Fenders, Cordobas...

I didn't care for any of the Mitchells I played. I don't know if it was because of how hard the GC guy was pushing them, or that it just didn't feel right, but either way, I didn't want one for my first purchased ukulele, regardless of price. And I've become a lot more discerning on what I want in a ukulele since then.

I've never played anything but an Autoharp by Oscar Schmidt, so can't give you any comparison there, but I'd say that the Mitchells and Fenders gave me the same lack of enthusiasm.

-Kurt​

Mahalo Kurt,
Yes the OU5 didn't make me jump to play it..but My OU2 did...especially when she's starting off, I wouldn't want to give a uke that would discourage her... you know now
I look back and I have enough experience to play and enjoy any uke....and make adjustments... something I didn't have when I first started... thank you all again..

Stan, right-o about the Mitchells being inconsistent. I tried two of them that looked alike at Guitar Center, and they sounded completely different, and not very loud, either. Pretty though. I bought a Luna there instead, it was LOUD!

Hey Stan, HMS has a nice Kamaka with fish inlays that she would probably like as a starter ukulele.

Mahalo Kurt,
Yes the OU5 didn't make me jump to play it..but My OU2 did...especially when she's starting off, I wouldn't want to give a uke that would discourage her... you know now
I look back and I have enough experience to play and enjoy any uke....and make adjustments... something I didn't have when I first started... thank you all again..

Stan you have a much better selection in your house than most music retailers (not all but most) Find a good one thats a little neglected and needs some love.. and pass it on! :)

Stan you have a much better selection in your house than most music retailers (not all but most) Find a good one thats a little neglected and needs some love.. and pass it on! :)
I have sold all my non use ones and I have connected with most of the others, which may not fit her best.....ha ha Hey I don't have a fish inlay yet..

What I got a silver creek baritone for 89.00 about 2 years ago..it's a Koala...gotta check what they are worth....thanks you gals and guys...
I just checked Namm 2012.. yes it looks like my SC baritone..shape and shiny finish. wow 191.00 wow I got it half price... they discontinued SC baritones though

Last edited:
Top Bottom