Testing the Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup system

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here's a video I did to check out how the Fishman Matrix sounds. I recently installed it on an Ohana TK-35CG. The tone and volume controls are just under the top of the sound hole.

Here's my opinion. I would be interested in what other people think:

PROS

1. Great sound
2. Balanced and clear
3. Easy to install
4. Good value for money
5. Responsive tone and volume controls

CONS

1. Battery makes it heavy
2. Bulky, so it does affect the acoustic tone
3. Cables too long for any uke

Not a system to use on a very light-bodied uke. You must remove the battery completely when travelling, particularly on an aircraft, as it can easily come loose and cause devastation to the innards of your uke. However, Fishman have been in the business so long that they have very much got it right, as far as sound quality is concerned.

I started playing, with the intention of just recording the song "Old Folks At Home", but a few other tunes got tagged on the end. There's "Smash The Windows', the intro to "Feeling Groovy" and a little bit of "Annie's Song". I also play a few bars of Edelweiss, but forget how it goes and completely lost it.

That was excellent, Ken. Strictly through the Fishman, with no external mic?

And when you say "easy to install", did you do the drilling yourself, or have it done?

What I've never liked with my amplified ukes is how much extraneous sound is picked up (the squeaking of the strings, for example, or inadvertent tapping on the soundboard). That I heard none of that in your recording I attribute to superior technique. Am I right, or do I have lousy pickup systems?

-Kurt​

That was excellent, Ken. Strictly through the Fishman, with no external mic?

And when you say "easy to install", did you do the drilling yourself, or have it done?

What I've never liked with my amplified ukes is how much extraneous sound is picked up (the squeaking of the strings, for example, or inadvertent tapping on the soundboard). That I heard none of that in your recording I attribute to superior technique. Am I right, or do I have lousy pickup systems?

-Kurt​

No, no external mic. I fed the signal from the Fishman through a jack input on my Zoom H4n and via USAB to my computer. I recorded it using Audacity (I much prefer it to Garage Band or any of the more complex apps).

I added a little compression and some reverb (both of which would be added to any professional CD recording).

I've been playing a long time, Kurt, so technique does help. having said that, there are lots of slips and muffled notes that almost stopped me using this recording. The Fishman system is very good. There are a lot of poor quality pickups and pre-amps on the market. I can't say whether yours is good or "lousy".

Yes, I installed it myself. It is fiddly, but not exactly difficult. just make sure the drill bit doesn't slip. And make sure it is the correct size.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reveiw Ken. The tiger looks mesmerized by your playing.

Hmmm. Hey Ken, is the battery a 9-volt and is it in a separate clip? If so this might be a case where installing one of the flip-top battery boxes through the back of the uke would be worthwhile...

That does have very nice sound. I can get very good sound from my MiSi Trios but only with some pretty finicky external EQ to clean up the UST "thud."

John

Several months agoo, I posted a review of the installation process of this pickup system in a Pono Baritone. It's a fine system...

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Matrix-Infinity-System-Ukulele-Version-Review

Good review.

Hmmm. Hey Ken, is the battery a 9-volt and is it in a separate clip? If so this might be a case where installing one of the flip-top battery boxes through the back of the uke would be worthwhile...

That does have very nice sound. I can get very good sound from my MiSi Trios but only with some pretty finicky external EQ to clean up the UST "thud."

John

The battery is in a little pouch attached with Velcro. I have attached it to the post inside where the neck joins the body. Taking it out to fly is no problem as I usually slacken the strings anyway. It works for me.

The Fishman may have the edge on the Mi-Si for sound, but the Mis-Si is certainly more convenient and lighter.

Top Bottom