Video Recording Help!!

For nicer results, a good large diaphragm condenser is a good mic to go to. Although something like a shure sm7b is a great all around mic as well. People get amazing results with SM57 as well.

Some sort of audio interface.

Use a program like garageband, audacity, logic, cubase, pro tools, sonar, reaper (free and better than audacity) to mix your instruments

For nicer video, an external video camera. Or all these new DSLR also have video recording now.

Record the audio to your computer. Record the video in your camera. sync it all up in software like Final Cut or Premiere.

Thanks,
I was thinking of purchasing the blue microphones Bluebird mic. I will now check out the microphones you mentioned.

For best audio in the home using a computer, it's definitely the option suggested by Scott above of the microphone + USB interface.
However, this also costs a few hundred dollars for "entry" level...

A good compromise if you want to stay under $100 is getting a USB condenser microphone (such as the Samson C01U).
It has a mini interface built-in, and the results are surprisingly good for such a simple setup.

I record separately with a Zoom H2, either off of the mixer using the line in or using the built in mics. Then I normalize, EQ if needed, add reverb, and amplify with Audacity. Then I save it as a WAV file and merge it with the video file in Pinnacle Studio HD where I turn off the video sound

Audacity

Pinnacle HD

This video was done using that technique. http://youtu.be/JPRmVraWQpI

For best audio in the home using a computer, it's definitely the option suggested by Scott above of the microphone + USB interface.
However, this also costs a few hundred dollars for "entry" level...

A good compromise if you want to stay under $100 is getting a USB condenser microphone (such as the Samson C01U).
It has a mini interface built-in, and the results are surprisingly good for such a simple setup.

I have one of these mics and i am very impressed with it , it comes with cakewalk recording software to, just gotta sort out my video options as ive only got the built in webcam on my laptop, mite get a HD webcam, but i love the samsong mics

I didn't use the Cakewalk because my slow computer could not handle it LOL.
But Audacity's been working OK for me so far.

As an example, I recorded this on my Samson C01U mic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ3MPnpMD8

(there's an mp3 link in the descriptions for better quality audio).

I think that you can be as complicated or as simple as you like, especially if you're not a professional. Truly I spent probably two months mulling this question over via various posts including several that I made myself. I then just bought a Flip HD recorder because someone on the board mentioned that they were going for peanuts ($49) at Best Buy on line. I farted around some more, tried doing things with a decent quality web cam (not happy there at all), and finally just started shooting with my Flip. You can see the result on my youtube channel (url below). I shoot the video, convert it to avi with a free conversion program so it is playable with different OSs and then make a few minor edits, like cutting portions of me walking away from, and to the camera, with Windows movie maker. Then save to the computer and upload to youtube. I'm not doing anything complicated like other folks on the list, like synchronizing audio and video tracks but then again I'm not making band promotion videos either. So when all is said and done I think that the best solution to get started is to go out and buy a decent recorder with both video and sound capabilities and shoot some film. If you're really into it then a more complex outfit is warranted and Mickey has suggested a great combination for more sophisticated videos in Uke Player #25. But really I think you should start simple and move up later when you find the combination of quality and time that you want to put into these vids. Good luck, g2

I just received my Bluebird microphone in the mail, and I'm looking forward to recording some great videos. Thanks for the help.

I'll be posting videos made with a Canon HD camcorder and Rode Shotgun mic on YouTube. When I get some posted, I'll share the links. We are starting Ukulele Player TV for that purpose.

I use a blue Yeti. LOVE IT

I have been disappoint lately with the Tascam ixz's noise. I knew there would be some since it uses the headphone out, and it is much much much better than an irig, but Audacity doesn't remove the noise so much as highlight the issue.

A Blue Yeti would solve my problems, I'd just need a powered USB hub for use with the iPad. The iPad has that StudioTrack app I like. I just wish there were more demos out there of how it works listening to an amp as opposed to acoustic.

The looks of the Apogee aren't inspiring, and it doesn't have the modes that the Yeti does, and is more expensive. Is it better? More expensive doesn't equal better. I mean if it is, then it is, but it looks uninspiring for the price. AND if it's not on Thomann's site, then it's nowhere near having a Europe release.

Last edited:
I am now in the market for an audio interface, I know most of you probably don't use one, but if you do, please give me some suggestions.

Beachtek makes an interface (DXA2T) that will work perfectly with the Canon, but it is a bit expensive. They may have another model that costs a bit less. It mounts on the bottom of the camera, takes XLR or mini connectors and works flawlessly for me.

What do you mean by Audio Interface? Do you mean hardware or software? What platform? What ports does it need?

edit - ah for camera. I've heard of people using a Tascam ixz, but I don't know the first thing about if that works or if it's best. I think it's easier to just overdub the audio, but we all have different workflows.

Top Bottom