PDA

View Full Version : Video Recording Help!!

UkuleleAdventure
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
How do you guys record your videos with the good sound quality? Do you use an external microphone? Do you record with your computer webcam? What is your setup for recording videos?

Thanks,
Kyle

itsscottwilder
02-09-2012, 11:12 AM
For nicer results, a good large diaphragm condenser is a good mic to go to. Although something like a shure sm7b is a great all around mic as well. People get amazing results with SM57 as well.

Some sort of audio interface.

Use a program like garageband, audacity, logic, cubase, pro tools, sonar, reaper (free and better than audacity) to mix your instruments

For nicer video, an external video camera. Or all these new DSLR also have video recording now.

Record the audio to your computer. Record the video in your camera. sync it all up in software like Final Cut or Premiere.

ukeeku
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I use a blue Yeti. LOVE IT

UkuleleAdventure
02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks,
I was thinking of purchasing the blue microphones Bluebird mic. I will now check out the microphones you mentioned.

kissing
02-10-2012, 12:17 AM
For best audio in the home using a computer, it's definitely the option suggested by Scott above of the microphone + USB interface.
However, this also costs a few hundred dollars for "entry" level...

A good compromise if you want to stay under $100 is getting a USB condenser microphone (such as the Samson C01U).
It has a mini interface built-in, and the results are surprisingly good for such a simple setup.

Ukuleleblues
02-10-2012, 02:13 AM
I record separately with a Zoom H2, either off of the mixer using the line in or using the built in mics. Then I normalize, EQ if needed, add reverb, and amplify with Audacity. Then I save it as a WAV file and merge it with the video file in Pinnacle Studio HD where I turn off the video sound

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/)

Pinnacle HD (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/)

This video was done using that technique. http://youtu.be/JPRmVraWQpI

smellofstrings
02-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I shot video with a Cannon PowrShot S95 and record sound with a Roland R-09HR recorder. Then I use iMovie to sync the video and audio. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. You may check out my youtube channel.

ukuleledaveey
02-10-2012, 02:47 AM
For best audio in the home using a computer, it's definitely the option suggested by Scott above of the microphone + USB interface.
However, this also costs a few hundred dollars for "entry" level...

A good compromise if you want to stay under $100 is getting a USB condenser microphone (such as the Samson C01U).
It has a mini interface built-in, and the results are surprisingly good for such a simple setup.

I have one of these mics and i am very impressed with it , it comes with cakewalk recording software to, just gotta sort out my video options as ive only got the built in webcam on my laptop, mite get a HD webcam, but i love the samsong mics

kissing
02-10-2012, 02:51 AM
I didn't use the Cakewalk because my slow computer could not handle it LOL.
But Audacity's been working OK for me so far.

As an example, I recorded this on my Samson C01U mic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ3MPnpMD8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ3MPnpMD8

(there's an mp3 link in the descriptions for better quality audio).

rook
02-10-2012, 03:33 AM

She IS a beauty!:cool:

itsscottwilder
02-10-2012, 04:10 AM
If I was buying a USB mic today I would hold out for this one

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiC/

Apogee has a reputation for stellar sound. Their A/D conversion technology is used by major studios everywhere.

garyg
02-10-2012, 04:32 AM
I think that you can be as complicated or as simple as you like, especially if you're not a professional. Truly I spent probably two months mulling this question over via various posts including several that I made myself. I then just bought a Flip HD recorder because someone on the board mentioned that they were going for peanuts ($49) at Best Buy on line. I farted around some more, tried doing things with a decent quality web cam (not happy there at all), and finally just started shooting with my Flip. You can see the result on my youtube channel (url below). I shoot the video, convert it to avi with a free conversion program so it is playable with different OSs and then make a few minor edits, like cutting portions of me walking away from, and to the camera, with Windows movie maker. Then save to the computer and upload to youtube. I'm not doing anything complicated like other folks on the list, like synchronizing audio and video tracks but then again I'm not making band promotion videos either. So when all is said and done I think that the best solution to get started is to go out and buy a decent recorder with both video and sound capabilities and shoot some film. If you're really into it then a more complex outfit is warranted and Mickey has suggested a great combination for more sophisticated videos in Uke Player #25. But really I think you should start simple and move up later when you find the combination of quality and time that you want to put into these vids. Good luck, g2

UkuleleAdventure
02-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all of the help so far. :)

UkuleleAdventure
02-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I just received my Bluebird microphone in the mail, and I'm looking forward to recording some great videos. Thanks for the help.

Olarte
02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
iPad 2 works for me.

And you can see yourself as you record...

Pippin
02-26-2012, 12:57 AM
I'll be posting videos made with a Canon HD camcorder and Rode Shotgun mic on YouTube. When I get some posted, I'll share the links. We are starting Ukulele Player TV for that purpose.

Plainsong
02-26-2012, 01:05 AM

I have been disappoint lately with the Tascam ixz's noise. I knew there would be some since it uses the headphone out, and it is much much much better than an irig, but Audacity doesn't remove the noise so much as highlight the issue.

A Blue Yeti would solve my problems, I'd just need a powered USB hub for use with the iPad. The iPad has that StudioTrack app I like. I just wish there were more demos out there of how it works listening to an amp as opposed to acoustic.

The looks of the Apogee aren't inspiring, and it doesn't have the modes that the Yeti does, and is more expensive. Is it better? More expensive doesn't equal better. I mean if it is, then it is, but it looks uninspiring for the price. AND if it's not on Thomann's site, then it's nowhere near having a Europe release.

UkuleleAdventure
02-26-2012, 03:37 AM
I am now in the market for an audio interface, I know most of you probably don't use one, but if you do, please give me some suggestions.

garywj
02-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Beachtek makes an interface (DXA2T) that will work perfectly with the Canon, but it is a bit expensive. They may have another model that costs a bit less. It mounts on the bottom of the camera, takes XLR or mini connectors and works flawlessly for me.

Plainsong
02-26-2012, 05:41 AM
What do you mean by Audio Interface? Do you mean hardware or software? What platform? What ports does it need?

edit - ah for camera. I've heard of people using a Tascam ixz, but I don't know the first thing about if that works or if it's best. I think it's easier to just overdub the audio, but we all have different workflows.

garywj
02-26-2012, 08:20 AM
It is a hardware device that allows balanced/unbalanced matching for a good microphone to work without hum with a consumer camera. The device hooks on the bottom of the camera and plugs into the camera mic input. It has 2 xlr inputs and controls and 2 mini inputs. Info and pictures at beachtek.com. It was recommended by someone on this forum a few months back. I tried other things and finally tried it. I am very happy with how it works. I use a MXL990 microphone, a tube preamp (which powers the microphone) and the Beachtek. There are videos on my YouTube page with 3 setups. The oldest ones with camera only, the next group done with a LS1 video recorder and synced in iMovie, and the last 6 or so done with the Beachtek. If you see the "credits" at the end of the video, all equipment is listed. You don't have to listen to them all. The ones with the large microphone/windscreen all have the Beachtek. Hope this helps.

UkuleleAdventure
02-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Wow, I have never heard of an interface that links up with your camera. As far as I know, an interface provides phantom power to condenser microphones so they work. I've been looking into purchasing the M-audio Fast track pro, or the blue microphones icicle. Thanks for the help.

Plainsong
02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
The Tascam ixz is one of those that gives phantom power and has an xlr port, but is less noisy than an irig or iMic, and more noisy than an icicle. It depends on what you need to plug into. Headphone out? USB? FireWire?

Speaking of iOs-friendly USB mics, Blue has the Spark digital coming soon, same price point as the Apogee MiC, and the specs seem to kick the ass of the Apogee in all ways. http://www.bluemic.com/spark_digital/#/faq/

UkuleleAdventure
02-26-2012, 12:32 PM
When I was in the market for a mic I was considering that spark digital mic. I chose the bluebird, because it's supposed to be one of the best microphones on the market for acoustic instruments. Although, I am sure the spark is a great mic. Originally I was going to record from my ipod, but I decided to use my nikon, and do all of the editing in audacity and pinnacle.

SweetWaterBlue
02-26-2012, 12:59 PM
When I first started out, I had my son's Zoom H4 on loan. I used it with Windows Movie Maker and Audacity. I eventually got Sony Vegas to edit the videos that I shot with my Logitech 9000 wecam. The Zoom H4 did a great job but its kind of pricey and my son eventually took it back.

Last year, I traded off an unused baritone for a Tascam DP004, which I really love. Its got 4 independent tracks no latency problems and two small condenser mics built in. You can also plug 2 guitars and/or mics into its input (no XLR or phantom power though). You don't even need to be near the computer to use it, and it runs on either batteries (about 8 hours) or AC power. You can buy one used off eBay for less than $75 today. I like to record myself playing and/or singing on track 1, then put a harmony part on track 2. I sometimes lay down a bass track with my electric bass on track 3 and percussion on track 4. Surprisingly the little condenser mics in it do a great job. If 4 tracks are not enough for you, you can bounce down 1-4 tracks to one track then have 3 more left to lay down some more. When you are done, you can either mix the whole thing down to one song, or upload wave files off all the tracks to something like Audacity to mix, add reverb, equalization etc. There are several bigger and better ones for more money (around $150 used) that record 8 independent tracks, have XLR inputs etc. etc. Some even have drum machines and loopers built in. I really prefer not having to fool with the computer until I am happy with 4 or more good raw tracks.

Earlier this year I bought a cheap XLR (SM58 clone) mic. Since I didn't have any way to plug in the XLR, I ended up buying a Behringer 1202FX mixer for $79 from GC after a coupon and sale price. I love it because I can now plug in up to 4 XLR mics (with phantom power) or 8 line input devices, such as guitars, ukes, keyboards, drum machine etc. Its got 3 band equalization, reverb, pan etc on 4 channels. It interfaces with my computer with a $15 USB interface I bought. I like the idea of a mixer instead of a dedicated computer interface, because they don't cost that much, and you can gig with them, even if all you do i plug it into the house PA. Add a few good mics as you get them, a small acoustic amp or PA and you are ready to gig in addition to being able to record. I still usually record to my DP004 using the mixer and external mics and then upload the whole thing to the computer when I am relatively happy with it.

A friend of mine just got a Samson Meteor condenser which has a built in USB interface and 25mm diaphram. I think he paid less than $75. He got it because it works on his iPad, which apparently won't power some high power requirements USB mics. It sounds great.

I guess I acquired a case of Electronic Gear Aquasition Syndrom (EGAS) when I quit buying ukuleles.

Plainsong
02-26-2012, 12:59 PM
It's not even that much more expensive. If I wasn't married to the StudioTrack app or Garage Band, and I had better phantom power than I presently do, I'd go with that one too.