PDA

View Full Version : Uke Lesson 10 - Breakdown

anaka
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey UUers! This months episode of UKE LESSONS goes a little something like this ... "BREAKDOWN"! (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/10/01/uke-lesson-10-breakdown/) (by Jack Johnson)

Take a look, try it out, and tell us what you think!! If you have any questions, ideas, alternatives, new techniques, etc. - Post them here!

thejumpingflea
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM
SWEET! :nana:

KoloheBoy
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
SWEET! :nana:

the last second was definitly the funniest part.

kyle
10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
NICE! new lesson and free wednesday lesson! just wish i didnt have hw to do..

HumbleSounds
10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Awesome lesson! Love this song. The last second was classic. :biglaugh:

Mahalo

freedive135
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
To funny this is the song we were working on at my lesson tonight, we are going to play it for the school the last night of my Uke 2 class!!!!

freedive135
10-01-2008, 08:22 PM
here is the ending picking tab from the lesson as Aldrine told it.(if I followed correctly)
Thanks Aldrine & Crew my class needed the ending tabs!!!!!

A---3-0---------------3-0------------3s5s3---7-5-3-3s5s3---7-5-3-3-
E---0--3---3----------0--3---3-------3s5s3-3-8-5-3-3s5s3-3-8-5-3-0-
C-0-0---2s4-4s2-p2--0-0---2s4-4s2-p2-------4-------------4-------0-
G---0-----------------0------------------------------------------0-

s-slide
p-pull off

HaileISela
10-02-2008, 12:58 AM
awesome lesson, I can't wait to get my new Uke to try that...:music:

the last second was epic:rofl:

deach
10-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Awesome lesson! Love this song. The last second was classic. :biglaugh:

Definitely! Breakdown of Breakdown - lol

e10rice
10-02-2008, 04:28 AM
what a great lesson. and great job last night with the live lesson. can't wait to get this song down.

NotoriousMOK
10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
great job on a song so many want -- thanks!

hotnanas
10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
thanks again Aldrine and UU, I can't wait to get to the house and give this a few licks on the uke.:music:

tripl3thr33
10-02-2008, 08:33 PM
i remember learning this song from dom's tabs. i'm not sure if they're the same or not and it takes too long to stream the lesson for me (i think my internet is capping our bandwidth or something else is just sucking it up).

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
sounds heaps good, Doms version sounds great aswell

i learn better when somebody shows me what to do ;)

allinfun
10-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Fantastic lesson, Thanks all. Finally a lesson I could do all of it at near speed by the second time through. But I do have some of the slow learner questions. Now I've got all the pieces but haven't the foggiest how to put it together.

How do I know when to use the chords vs the picking? It seems like there was only the one place in the song for the bridge pattern (starts with I wanna break on down, but I can't stop now....) and I could only figure out that there was the picking session right after that where the lyrics begin with (But you can't stop nothing)

My old guitar teacher used to tell me that there's music in me just waiting to get out, and he knows it because it hasn't come out yet. :) as much as I love this stuff, someday I know an epiphany will happen and it will all make sense.

KAWIKA27
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
This was one of the first songs that i learnd and i gota say, this vid is sweet, good job. dig the very end to supa funny:D.

P.S

where da signature hat :eek:!?!?!?

upskydowncloud
10-06-2008, 07:44 AM
How do I know when to use the chords vs the picking?

Hey the best advice I can come up with is to listen to Jack Johnson's original song. That's what I did and it makes more sense now. I think on the video the picking was overlayed on top of the chord sections.

freedive135
10-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Upsky's right about the overlay on the CD or its 2 ukes playin. When I saw his show he was the only Uke player, he did the pickin and strummin when he wasn't pickin and the Guitar did all the strummin parts. (it's my favorite JJ song)

Not to be an expert....

Intro is pick and strum
Verse is pick and strum
Chorus is strum only
Repeat Intro pick and strum
Verse pick and strum
Chorus strum
Bridge is strum only

Then here is where it gets tricky

The Verse starts "But you...." that part is strummed like the Brigde,
Then "Can't stop nothing..." is the picking only part
Then I goes to strum and pick at "Can't stop wishing....."

Chorus is strum only

The the "I want to break on down... but I cant stop now..." is pick and strum

Then that sweet ending that Aldrine showed us or use Dom's it just as sweet only a little harder to me.

I listened to this like a 1000 times to figure it out for my Uke 2 class.

Some day I'll sit and chord and strum pattren it out like I did for my UU Chunk song.

Hope this helps.

GregX999
10-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Is that G chord really right? A Gsus2? When I play it it sounds weird - it sounds much better as a regular G. But in the lesson video it sounds okay.

Greg

UkEdman90
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Is that G chord really right? A Gsus2? When I play it it sounds weird - it sounds much better as a regular G. But in the lesson video it sounds okay.

Greg

i roll with the Gsus2 sounds clean as hell on my uke!

freedive135
10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
My sheet music shows it as a normal G chord and no mention of the dreaded Chunk strumm!!!!!

Gsus2, Chunk strum as my Uke Teacher says "Artistic Freedom" if you like it play it......

Dane
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
It sounds great in the video, but as you said, it sounds alot better on my uke when I play a normal G, the Gsus2 just has too much of an A twang to it on my uke, it overpowers the chord.

anndar
06-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Fantastic lesson, Thanks all. Finally a lesson I could do all of it at near speed by the second time through. But I do have some of the slow learner questions. Now I've got all the pieces but haven't the foggiest how to put it together.

How do I know when to use the chords vs the picking? It seems like there was only the one place in the song for the bridge pattern (starts with I wanna break on down, but I can't stop now....) and I could only figure out that there was the picking session right after that where the lyrics begin with (But you can't stop nothing)

My old guitar teacher used to tell me that there's music in me just waiting to get out, and he knows it because it hasn't come out yet. :) as much as I love this stuff, someday I know an epiphany will happen and it will all make sense.
I found this very helpful! It's a recoding of Aldrine doing the whole song! http://www.airmp3.net/download/aldrine/mp3/dl_99d6e_0

ukulele2544
06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Another great uke lesson!

kalbears13
08-29-2009, 08:40 AM
I play the intro like this...

C-Em-Am-G

A|--3-------3---------------]
E|--------0-------0---------]
C|-----0--------------------]
G|-------------0------------]

A|--2-----------2-----------]
E|----------3-------3-------]
C|------4---------------4---]
G|--------------------------]

A|--0-----------0-----------]
E|----------0-------0-------]
C|------0---------------0---]

A|--2-----------2-----------]
E|----------3-------3-------]
C|------2---------------2---]

Jeremiah Greenspoon
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Oh boy do I love this site and as a novice I can't get enough...

The breakdown tute is really great! But I have a question about the chords.

In the "Uke transcribed for guitar" music that I have, Breakdown has a Cadd2/B chord in it, and I have NOOOOOOOOO idea how to do this chord!

It's in the chorus at:
C Cadd2/B Am G
I need this, old train to breakdown

So the Cadd2/B is in place of what is normally an Em

Any idea how to play this one on a Uke? When I pick up my normal guitar it's relatively easy, just drop the root C to B, and add the D instead of the E... but on a Uke the C is as low as it gets!

Really love any tips from any experts, I've spent all morning at work trying to figure this out.

Cheers,
Jeremiah

SoulSurfer
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Nice lesson Aldrine, I got a heck of a lot out of this one. However....

After listening to the official JJ video about 10 times, I believe there is more to what Aldrine refers to as "the second fingerpicking".

It would be easy for me to tab if I knew how you guys embed those, but I don't, so insufficient verbiage will have to do.

There are four phrases to end the song. The first is pretty much how Aldrine does it, but a bit different in style. The second, rather than come back to the bar on the first 2 strings third fret, JJ stays on the fifth fret. The third phrase is a repeat of the first, and the fourth is just as Aldrine says.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong, but this is how it sounds to my rusty ears!

Kanaka916
08-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Oh boy do I love this site and as a novice I can't get enough...

The breakdown tute is really great! But I have a question about the chords.

In the "Uke transcribed for guitar" music that I have, Breakdown has a Cadd2/B chord in it, and I have NOOOOOOOOO idea how to do this chord!

It's in the chorus at:
C Cadd2/B Am G
I need this, old train to breakdown

So the Cadd2/B is in place of what is normally an Em

Any idea how to play this one on a Uke? When I pick up my normal guitar it's relatively easy, just drop the root C to B, and add the D instead of the E... but on a Uke the C is as low as it gets!

Really love any tips from any experts, I've spent all morning at work trying to figure this out.

Cheers,
Jeremiah
Post from a super duper mod . . .

On a high G uke, I would play:

C: 0003
C/B: 0002
C/A: 0000
Cadd2: 0005

On a low G uke I would play:

C: 5433
C/B: 4433
C/A: 2433