The All Go Hungry Hash House

OldePhart

Reaction score
thanks for this one John and all the historical info. The only reason I knew of this one was because the banjo player Charlie Poole used to play it with his ramblin bunch of musos apparently...right around the time you describe.

And last year Loudon Wainwright included a take on it on his 'High Wide and Hansome' 2CD tribute to Poole. I'll go dig it out and try putting up that version, just to give you an idea of what he did with it. In any case it's just funny stuff, great lyricism and more than a bit sad...

intersting history and example of how things change as they are handed down. I wonder if orignal lyrics dont make sence sometimes because they are signifigant only to the terminology and slang of a certian era and area, like tounge in cheek jokes? But its a good point about trying to interparate had to hear lyrics. Ive studied forensic audio a bit and there are techniques you can use but still its hard to prove what soemthign is if its very unclear.

Thanks guys. @Jon I'd love to hear the Poole version.

I remember reading somewhere that this was actually an adaptation of a much older song from England but I can't find those notes now. I do remember thinking at the time that the lyrics had changed so much from those listed for that song that it would be kind of difficult to make a strong case this one being derived from the earlier.

@Alice - lyrics drift for a variety of reasons, one of which is as you mention. A lot of the "nonsense" sounds in Americana actually resulted because the songs were originally brought over from Ireland and were partially or completely in Gaelic. As the second and third generation lost their Gaelic roots they kept the songs but lyrics that no longer had meaning became simple rhyming nonsense. A similar thing happened with place names. Second and third generations had no ties back to the old towns and so many place names degenerated to simple rhymes, and then from that it was only a small step until the lyric sometimes degenerated further to where it wasn't even clear that the lyric was refering to a place.

John

Very nice OldePharte. Thanks for the history on this one, I really do enjoy finding out the inforation behind the old songs. I am gonna look up that Charlie Poole version!

Top Bottom