Open for Jake Contest

It says it has to be one of Jake's songs. I have not listened to that much of his music, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think he had written many (any) songs. He always seems to do instrumentals or covers of other people's songs.

It says it has to be one of Jake's songs. I have not listened to that much of his music, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think he had written many (any) songs. He always seems to do instrumentals or covers of other people's songs.

I don't believe I've I heard him sing a song he has written. So, intrumentals yes, but songs no. Point taken.

I'm so on this!

Thanks for letting me know. It should be fun to see who's going to take part.

I was thinking of entering Me and Shirley T or Crosscurrent.

I'm leaning toward Crosscurrent because it was an open mic situation.

Last edited:

Crosscurrent, trapped, 5 dollars unleaded, me and shirley t, let's dance, orange world, Sakura Sakura, blue roses, bring your adz are just some of his songs hes written.

Jake, wrote the "Songs" "Hula Girl and Wish on my Star", for the Japanese award winning movie, "Hula Girls". (Hula Girl is done as both an Instrumental as well as a Song version).

Cool contest. I'm not sure if I will enter or not, but this thread did remind me that I once knew how to play Crosscurrent. Normally I play an assortment of Jake's songs when hacking around at home, but I must not have played this one for a very long time because I can't recall the last time I played it. Now I know what I'm going to be trying to play tonight. :D

just to be clear, I think you win an opening spot, but I don't know whether they're providing travel and lodging. For some folks I know that might be a deal breaker

I wasn't aware of any distinction in the music world between "songs" and "instrumentals." (For what it's worth, the people running this contest use the word "songs" when they are evidently referring to Jake's almost exclusively wordless musical compositions.) Jake has written a number of compositions, including eight of the eleven pieces on his "Peace Love Ukulele" CD. Although Jake has become more famous for his ukulele instrumental arrangements of other people's songs ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Bohemian Rhapsody," etc.), he's becoming a prolific composer. I believe that the majority of the pieces on his last few CDs are his own compositions. Jake typically doesn't sing, though, so even his compositions with words ("Hula Girls") are sung by other musicians.

just to be clear, I think you win an opening spot, but I don't know whether they're providing travel and lodging. For some folks I know that might be a deal breaker

The website says: "Travel support to the winner will be considered." The performance is in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Crosscurrent, trapped, 5 dollars unleaded, me and shirley t, let's dance, orange world, Sakura Sakura, blue roses, bring your adz are just some of his songs hes written.

Col mate :) Sakura was popular during the EDO period in Japan - it was first published in 1888......I suspect that this is just Jake's arrangement of it ;)
Don't think you should submit that one :D

Col mate :) Sakura was popular during the EDO period in Japan - it was first published in 1888......I suspect that this is just Jake's arrangement of it ;)
Don't think you should submit that one :D

Whoopsie daisy. I wasn't born yet so yeah, glad someone from that era is here to tell us.

:-D hehe.

I always remember him saying "this is my try at making a 4 string ukulele sound like a 14 string... etc" thought he was just getting something together that sounded like the instrument.

I was wondering about the travel thing too....

I just sent mine in anyway. I chose Shirley T because it's a fun song to play. I made a new video for it though to personalize it a little bit.

There is one thing I think people are confused about, or they just want to get their stuff out there.

Here's the facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/297009913694424/

People posted their own original songs for some reason.

Check it out anyway. I'm sure there's gonna be some good ones.

Dominator, where are you?

Ha, I don't think they are looking for something from an old fart like me. I'm guessing they are looking for a young whipper snapper. I may record something anyway just for the heck of it.

Ha, I don't think they are looking for something from an old fart like me. I'm guessing they are looking for a young whipper snapper. I may record something anyway just for the heck of it.

No Fair!!! You practically taught half of UU!! I would buy your tabs if Jake allowed you to print them. Good luck Dom. If I was a judge, I would vote for you as you are the OG teacher

Here's my entry. I went back and forth trying to decide whether to play something slow and mellow like Touch or Wish on My Star but ended up going for up tempo with Crosscurrent.

Good luck to everybody who enters. This is probably one of those once in a lifetime opportunities.

Top Bottom