Getting A New Uke

Iain

Reaction score
Well guys, I've had this Lanikai LU-21 Tenor for a year now and I'd really like to step up to a bigger uke (as in more frets). My budget is around £100 ($200US) and I'm wondering what uke I should get? Looking for something that can last me 1-2 years and can keep itself in tune. Needs to be available in the UK.

im not really sure but try ebay and just sit down with a bag of chips and search until you find what you want.

also I think we have almost identical ukes. lol

ebay is your best bet... im in australia and theres about 1 shop in the whole of sydney that sells them and they arn't to good.

not sure what uke though :S i plan on getting a new uke when i can play 10 things correct and had my uke for more than 18months ^^

What brands should I look for then? Or can someone just give me a make and model and I'll try and find it?

more frets? so you wanna go for a baritone?

google hobgoblin music, its a uk folk shop and they sell plenty of ukes which for a £100 budget you can find a nice solid top one.

when you buy off ebay and import into the uk you have to pay custom charges and VAT. when i bought a uke from musicguymic i paid an extra £40 ($80) because of custom charges.

if your budget is $200 then make sure you allow $60 of that on custom.

more frets? so you wanna go for a baritone?

google hobgoblin music, its a uk folk shop and they sell plenty of ukes which for a £100 budget you can find a nice solid top one.

when you buy off ebay and import into the uk you have to pay custom charges and VAT. when i bought a uke from musicguymic i paid an extra £40 ($80) because of custom charges.

if your budget is $200 then make sure you allow $60 of that on custom.
Not necessarily a Baritone, just more than 12 frets. I want to go a reliable brand, I've never heard of any of the brands on Hobgoblin (even though there's only one which is Ashbury).

you said that you have a lanakai lu 21 tenor, i have that...its got 19 frets.

get a tenor, you can get a decent one from the same place and its better than paying a bomb for shipping and tax for an american uke

you said that you have a lanakai lu 21 tenor, i have that...its got 19 frets.

get a tenor, you can get a decent one from the same place and its better than paying a bomb for shipping and tax for an american uke
The guy in the music shop told me it was a tenor and it's tuned GCEA so I presumed it was.

The guy in the music shop told me it was a tenor and it's tuned GCEA so I presumed it was.

I'm a very new user to this site and I just recently got a ukulele but I assume all ukuleles are tuned to GCEA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a very new user to this site and I just recently got a ukulele but I assume all ukuleles are tuned to GCEA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I saw a ukulele chord finder and a lot were tuned differently.

Well you can tune them differently but the standard tunings for a ukulele I believe is GCEA

soprano, concert, and tenor are all GCEA standard, soprano may go up a few notes A,D,F#,B and tenors may go down F#, B, D#, G# <-- this is the tuning of some of the pure hearts songs are e.g. happy ukulele and how can i get over. no clue about baritone, but i seen sumone say its like the bottom 4 strings of the guitar.

So has anyone got an idea of what I should get?

i second freddy's kala choice, they are a great brand.

Tenor Ukes

Iain,
I think the Kalas are decent ukes for the money. I have one of the spruce top tenors. It's 14 frets to the body and 19 total though. Its the one on sale here for $139:
http://ukuleleworld2.com/home.php?cat=23

I paid $145 for mine. It's an OK uke. The volume is average, but not nearly as loud as my Maui Music Tenor, but of course we're talking about two totally different price ranges, so that's to be expected. I have also heard good things about Ohana ukes for that price range, although I haven't played one myself. There's a nice looking solid mohogany model on that same page on sale for $239.

The thing is I have heard pretty good things about Lanikai too, and I'm not sure you'll see a huge difference in quality (or frets) if you go to another tenor in that price range.

you're wasting your money if you import a kala. its not worth the money u pay on shipping and tax, £30 minimum will be spent on the uke to get it in the country to your doorstep.

you can get a solid spruce top hudson. ive never played it, but it should have a better sound than the laminated kala which you could get for same price:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUDSON-ALOHA-...hZ013QQcategoryZ16224QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

id avoid shipping from america when u have a limited budget, as a fair proporiton will go on customs and delivery. if u just want a small upgrade from the crappy uke u have atm, check to see whats avaliable in the UK and when u feel like upgrading again, then look overseas!

thats my advice. kala are good ukes, but they arent as great value for money as the americans have it, my kala cost like $100 more than the other people that have bought them because of the extra charges i had to pay

its your money tho

Top Bottom