Quiet ukes

I've heard people have tried stuffing the uke with clothing, or socks (as the saying goes)..
Haven't tried this before myself.

Otherwise, there are soundhole covers that can mute the sound.
If you can find one that fits your uke..

And please don't suggest a new, quiet uke! Mine would get jealous!

Funny you say that, coz by the time I get home and have my dinner, my family is up for bed. I tend to stay up and read a bit or play my uke. But I am just concern even my Makala Dolphine can be loud to those who are trying to sleep.

I thought of getting myself an eleuke but that is a few hundreds, plus another $100+ for postage and handling to Australia.

So, I would be interested if our UU mates could provide some suggestions here :p

Try This!

Hello

I love my uke, a mass produced but beautiful little Pineapple. But she's louder than most soprano ukes.

Now, I'm working on my strumming, and getting better. But I'm worried about annoying my neighbours.

So I was wondering. Is there a way to temporarily make her quieter? I know I could play quieter, but I really enjoy letting it all go. It would have to not damage anything (I want full volume when I play with other people).

Any ideas?
Had the same problem. I always stuffed a sock thru the sound hole... sometimes two... still had quality sound but definitely muffled enough to allow me to strum normally! Socks were easily pulled out when the coast was clear. It's an idea...

Is it a luna? cause I have a luna and boy is that thing loud! Good luck, maybe you need to contact Mim and get an eleuke.. or try the sock thing..

Funny you say that, coz by the time I get home and have my dinner, my family is up for bed. I tend to stay up and read a bit or play my uke. But I am just concern even my Makala Dolphine can be loud to those who are trying to sleep.

I thought of getting myself an eleuke but that is a few hundreds, plus another $100+ for postage and handling to Australia.

So, I would be interested if our UU mates could provide some suggestions here :p

Getting an Eleuke in Australia shouldn't cost that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Eleuke-...ltDomain_0&hash=item27c1088d87#ht_2445wt_1037

$179 + $50 shipping, brand new.

Hardly "hundreds of dollars" and "$100+ postage".... :)

(and Mim's is the most popular person to buy Eleukes from here!)

Or a Peanut! I just got my Peanut from Mim the other day and last night I had a blast practicing alternating soft/loud strumming. It really freed me up to let loose and mess up.

And my other uke was not jealous. It said "Come back when you can play that strum better!"

I find hand towels work better for me. It's easier to fish out one large piece of cloth then a bunch of socks.

Yes, she is a Luna. I decided early on I would be a one uke guy; she can carry a far better tune than my skills can!

Socks it is. :)

I have a Luna AND an eleuke.. we have have a few makala dolphins around the house and a samick that collects dust too.. I play the luna and the eleuke all the time.

Ever think about building one? I built a "GRIZZLY" , they only cost 25 bucks and are alot of fun to build and easy.. I built one and it sounds good but is not loud at all. Good for playing when you dont want alot of volume.

When I'm literally just practising strumming timing or patterns I loosely cover the string with my left hand which isn't doing anything anyway and hey presto it's quiet, doesn't help if trying to practise a song quietly though, although randomly I found wearing my long jumper while strumming was automatically deadening the strings anyway

Someone mentioned stuffing a pair of socks in the hole. It works. They are easy to get in and out. Banjo ukes usually get something stuffed in the back to quiet them.

What kind of strings do you have? Ive found that flourocarbon strings are quieter than aquilas.

A 1/2" piece of foam under the strings (between the soundboard and strings) pressed up against the bridge is a good mute. Not sure if it will drop the volume enough to not wake up the kids tho!

I would say the foam too.

I have a Risa LP tenor (Marisa says to say "Hi Sam!") which is a steel string electric and I just don't plug it in if I really want to play and be very quiet but am too lazy to deal with cords to the amp and headphones. So an electric with headphones is a good alternative, plugged in or not.

Top Bottom