What make a guitalele a guitalele ??

cahaya

Reaction score
I would say neither of them are guitaleles.
They are both pieces of junk, or just really really bad attempt at a "toy" child sized guitar.

Guitaleles are guitaleles because they're tuned AEGCEA, and are built much like ukes (around tenor uke size).
A good example is the Yamaha Guitalele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53_aoLpffA

Last edited:
I would say neither of them are guitaleles.
They are both pieces of junk, or just really really bad attempt at a "toy" child sized guitar.

Guitaleles are guitaleles because they're tuned AEGCEA, and are built much like ukes (around tenor uke size).
A good example is the Yamaha Guitalele.

I thought guitaleles were tuned ADGCEA? At any rate, yup, it's in the tuning. :)

So following the reasons above, it is fair for me to say if one tune the tenor size 'toy' to ADGCEA, then we may have a guitalele?

Beyond having a ADGCEA tuning, True guitaleles generally have much wider necks than even full sized "wide necked" guitars. They are built more like ukuleles with two extra strings than like small guitars.

A "child size" guitar can be tuned the same and use some nylon strings if you're trying cut corners, but you really want to get that wide neck. The string distance should be like that of the uke.

Attachments

• kanilea_gl6_7_copy.jpg
    kanilea_gl6_7_copy.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 11
So following the reasons above, it is fair for me to say if one tune the tenor size 'toy' to ADGCEA, then we may have a guitalele?

No.
Tunings aside, those things you linked to are NOT "guitaleles". They're not even real instruments.
Perhaps an insult to guitaleles, if anything.

Realistically, they are just cheap knockoffs from some no-name company just trying to sell cheap gimmicks to not-so-musical folk.
They will not make a decent sound, nor play in tune. Even if you somehow managed to get it to play ADGCEA, it will sound like a sad excuse for an instrument.

It's the kind of thing a non-musical parent buys their 6 yr old kid who wants a toy guitar just to shut them up. The tuners on those things will not function properly, especially the one that looks like it "has" friction pegs (but they're not even friction pegs.. the tuners are just there for show). They have been fitted with "steel strings", but "steel wires" would be a more fitting description. And don't even try putting proper strings on them (the strings would cost nearly as much as the "instrument"), you'll bend or crack the neck. The whole thing is made of some flimsy plywood, and don't even dream about a truss rod.

You see this kind of junk at the dollar store. I was at the Reject Shop the other day, and saw something similar. Even at the prices listed, it is a rip-off, as you will not be buying anything that is functional. The same money would be better spent on a cheapo Makala or Mahalo ukulele, which are actually capable of being played as instruments.

Guitaleles are actually instruments made by true musical instrument companies.
Physically, they have about the same body size as a tenor ukulele, and a wide neck that is similar to a classical guitar's.
It's called a guitalele, because it's the size of a uke and is tuned like a uke (+2 more strings), but has 6 strings making it a bit like a guitar.

If you want a good guitalele, you need not spend much. I've seen the Yamaha guitalele in Australian stores at around the $99-120 mark.
If you want to improvise a bit, you may have some luck with a cheap 1/4 size Valencia classical guitar re-strung with guitalele strings, which are around $60 in Australian stores.

edit: maybe i should get some sleep.. its 4am here.. just seeing such abominations to instruments makes me cranky LOL

Last edited:
.. just seeing such abominations to instruments makes me cranky LOL
I know how you feel. :D The 2 "items" in the OP will soon be landfill.

I briefly considered the Yamaha GL-1 until someone brought the Kanile'a GL6 to my attention. Of course there's a massive difference in price. In the end I decided that if I want to play a guitar, I'll play a guitar. When I want a uke, I'll play a uke.

Other broad definitions I've seen are that a guitalele/guitarlele is roughly 1/4 the size of a guitar with 17-20" scale.

I have two Yamaha GL1s. Great instruments for the price.

Top Bottom