Oscar Schmidt OU53 Baritone Ukulele , solid spruce top?

strumsilly

Reaction score
does the Oscar Schmidt OU53 Baritone Ukulele have a solid top. anybody have one, or another size. Impressions?

Definitely a solid spruce top. Just recently played this very model. For the ridiculously low price, it's a surprisingly nice instrument. If this was my price range and the type of instrument I needed, I wouldn't hesitate. I would try it with less bright strings than the Aquilas, but it is really quite lovely to behold and to play.

yea, I really like the Lanaiki and Kala spruce tops. thought the OS would be similar. lot of bang for the buck. just wasn't sure as it's described as "select spruce top", a little vague. thanks

I've had one of these for 5 years. It's the only spruce baritone I've ever played, so I've got no comparison point. Here's a video of me playing it a few days ago. You'll probably hear a lot of "snapping." I don't think it did that when it was new- that's probably a result of me failing to humidify it, and, at a different point, leaving it with no strings for way too long.

not solid

After some research, I'm pretty sure that the OU53 is a laminated spruce top but the OU53S is solid.

I was looking at one of these recently and contacted Oscar Schmidt about it because I was confused since some places advertise an ou53 and some an ou53s, yet on Oscar Schmidts website, they only have a ou53s listed. Basically, there was a slip up at the factory and a bunch were printed as ou53 vs ou53s but its the exact same ukulele. IE, it has a solid spruce top and laminated sides and back. They do not make 2 versions of this uke so if you see ou53 or ou53s, they are the same uke with same specs.

I bought one after and I'm very happy with it. Great sound, nice action, nice gloss finish, great tuners, body AND fretboard binding and solid spruce top. Really a bargain for the money.

Last edited:
thanks for clearing that up

Thanks for clearing that up! Makes a lot of sense.

yea, I really like the Lanaiki and Kala spruce tops. thought the OS would be similar. lot of bang for the buck. just wasn't sure as it's described as "select spruce top", a little vague. thanks

Heh, heh. "Select" is something a lot of guitar manufacturers say to make you think you're getting extra good wood. What it usually really means is "hey, we selected this top from the pile of wood we select tops from..." LOL BTW, this isn't criticism of OS - many manufacturers let their marketeers have a little too much rope...

John

I've had one of these for 5 years. It's the only spruce baritone I've ever played, so I've got no comparison point. Here's a video of me playing it a few days ago. You'll probably hear a lot of "snapping." I don't think it did that when it was new- that's probably a result of me failing to humidify it, and, at a different point, leaving it with no strings for way too long.

The video is marked private...

So...do those with experience in these things believe the Oscar Schmidt spruce top/ laminate sides to be superior to the Kala spruce top/laminate sides? I'm shortly about to purchase one of these in Baritone size.

IMO yes

I prefer the Oscar Schmidt sound and looks. I believe that Kala's quality control might be a bit better, but they're similar quality.

Anybody agree or disagree?

From the OS catalog

After some research, I'm pretty sure that the OU53 is a laminated spruce top but the OU53S is solid.

There is only one OU53 in their catalogue and it says
"OU53 Gloss Baritone, Solid Spruce, Rosewood"

From what I can see there is only one currently being offered.
Just got mine and cannot see any evidence of a laminate top. Could be mistaken....

Top Bottom