And again. . . humidity question

hibiscus

Reaction score
I'm sorry to have to ask about this issue again, but I really don't understand. To make it simple, a yes or no answer will be fine!

I am fortunate to have a music room with 2 pianos, 2 recorders and 4 ukuleles. For 25 years my pianos and recorders have been just fine at about 60% humidity in the room.

Ukuleles are relatively new to me. I have a silica packet in each case and that's it. Question: Do I or do I not need a humidifier in each case? (solid wood ukes)
Thank you.

Last edited:
No.

What is the "silicone packet" and what is its purpose?

I assume the OP means silica packets, which probably shipped with the cases, if they were after-market. They are dehumidifying agents, and may eventually cause issues. Remove those. Otherwise, you should be fine.

I assume the OP means silica packets, which probably shipped with the cases, if they were after-market. They are dehumidifying agents, and may eventually cause issues.
That was my suspicion, but then why ask about a humidifier if there's a dehumidifying agent in the case?

I live down south on the coast in a swamp where the humidity in the winter gets around 50% on a dry day. I only put out a humidifier if it gets cold < 40 and I am running the heater a lot. The only for the period of time when this is occurring.

You should be fine at 60%. Just get rid of the silica packs.

Thank you!!!!!!! And, yes, I will get rid of the "silica" packets.;)

Top Bottom