"I'm A Bad, Bad Man"

H

Hippie Dribble

as performed by the incomparable Cliff Edwards in the 1942 film, 'Bandit Ranger'.

DrBekken introduced us to this song from his massive catalogue the other day; I loved his version so much I couldn't resist having a go at it myself. so...

I sharpened up the ol' pistol, shot out a few tin cans, made a few scary faces at old ladies passing by then got out the axe (or is it a hatchet...he he)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgnro4jef34

A really fun song, hope you get a smile out of it. Thanks for watching gang!

In this case, the 'hatchet' is a concert black bear ukulele, hand built by Duane Heilman from macadamia wood. Similar tonal qualities to mango I think, warm and sweet, strung with worth browns.

Yep. Very good!

hahaha, i love this video! the lighting and setting matches so well with the song... i just realized you're in australia! i wish i got to meet you while i was there last year!!! i've been working on a bunch of collaborations with local musicians.... wanna do a collab video one of these days?

Nothing "Bad, bad..." about THAT song except the title! As usual, thanks for challenging us & entertaining us at the same time. Always love your style of delivery!

Great (as always), Gene!
Can you give us the chords?
Gracias!
Dennis

Great song. A macadamia wood Ukulele? I'd never be able to play that. I'd have to keep stopping to get some or else start knawing on uke. Sounds good though.

The dichotomy between being a bad bad man and playing an ukulele has got to be my all time favorite. This is gold mate, and that black bear is sweet- what a tone monster she is. Keep them coming

thanks heaps all!!!

Craig, would be great to do something like that but I'm a tech dunce and do everything with a hand held camera using one take, no editing....might be a bridge too far!!! :eek:

Thankyou Gwynn, Glenn, Shirley and Dave for the nice comments...yeah I'd never heard of anyone building with macadamia wood either, but it's very like mango methinks. It has quite a mellow and sweet sound, just gorgeous and the worth browns are a good fit for it.

Dennis, sure mate, I'll get to the chords and put them up for you...

Jon, this one has it going on! Let me go down the "awesomeness" checklist:

your awesome fingerpicking - check
uke tap - check
foot stomp - check
great singing - check
killer uke - check

I really dig it.

Aloha Sheriff Eugene,
With your 4 strings, you're a bad bad man....ha ha enjoyed it mate..keep um coming... BTW, your BBU sounds like it's on fire...macademia nut eh:eek:

Thanks Eric, Stan, John and Campbell!!!! :)

in response to Dennis' request, here's the chord layout for the tune...

"I'm A Bad, Bad Man"

(Dm)I'm a musical bandit: (A7)brush-sage-dapper dan
(Dm)I aint a(C)fraid of (Bb)man or (A7)ghost
(Dm)I eat (C)horseshoe (Bb)nails on (A7)toast
I'm a bad, bad (Dm)man

I'm a musical bandit: brush-sage-dapper dan
I like to practice shootin flies
I like to hit em between the eyes
I'm a bad, bad man

(D7)My daddy was a bad man too, and I'm his favourite son
(G)I'm a one man wrecking crew, I got (A)15 notches on my gun

I'm a musical bandit: brush-sage-dapper dan
The sheriff swore a solemn vow
He'd look me up and pick a row
We got a brand new sheriff now...
I'm a bad, bad man
I'm a bad, bad man

Thanks for the chords, Jon!
You're a man of your word!;-)

Now if you could just lay out the musical talent part for me...

Gracias, Amigo

d

Great selection of songs on your YouTube page - thanks!

no probs at all Dennis, any others you're keen to get a hold of let me know mate.

And Angus thankyou for your generous words mate and for your subscription, blessings :)

right hand technique

how about a quick tutorial on the picking strum technique you use in this?

Really like that.

Again, Thanks
Dennis

Dennis if I could mate I surely would. However I am self taught, utterly untrained, don't know how to write or tab anything and just go totally by instinct and by feel. I just don't know how to do or explain what you're asking me to do. What happens with my right hand just kinda happens depending on what song it is I'm trying to play mate. Really sorry, wish I could help you more brother. I can always help out with chords but beyond that I lack the ability to properly communicate anything regarding technique and such things as I don't understand it myself

Top Bottom