Hollywood Reporter calls Kamaka the only Hawaiian manufacturer

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
From the Hollywood Reporter's website (found on the Kamaka Facebook page):a Kamaka uke is the #2 music accessory.

"Unless you are GMS icon John Pizzarelli, trying to play music can be dicey, but less so on a ukulele. The Beatles were uke aficionados, and the stories of post-gig uke jams with George and Paul are legendary. As this year's Musicares Person of the Year honoree, Sir Paul definitely grants the uke GMS status. Iz and Eddie Veder strum them as well, and uke sales are up nationally over 30 percent. Think Jake Shimabukuro, not Tiny Tim, and get yourself a Kamaka, the only ukes made in Hawaii, the home of uke music. Go to Santa Monica's McCabe's for a few lessons. For inspiration, Jake S.' YouTube-famous "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is genius. (From $845)"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ga...book-matt-jacobson-music-accessories-288257#2

Now Kamaka ukuleles are great, I love mine dearly. And I'm happy to see some uke love in a mainstream publication, even if they imply it is easy to play. But really? The ONLY Hawaiian manufacturer? What about KoAloha, Kanilea and Ko'olau, not to mention custom builders like Moore Bettah?

I would argue that Kamaka is in a three way tie with KoAloha and Kanilea for the most popular non custom Hawaiian uke factory. They are the oldest, and one of the best, but not the only Hawaiian uke manufacturer. I'm surprised that made it to press with such a glaring error.

Last edited:
What is GMS? I just googled it... Girls Middle School? Grants Management System?

bizarre. what can one say????
:wtf:
Roxie, I always wanted to be a Girls Middle School Icon...then I got old and it kinda all went a bit creepy...he he :p

I doubt that it was written by any Kamaka guy, if you look at the hollywood reporter link:

UPDATED: The best speakers, headphones -- and yes -- ukuleles for Grammy week as picked by Facebook's head of market development Matt Jacobson, author of the men's style blog, "Focus on the Donut."

Well maybe anyone interested in a Hawaiian uke because of that article, might just see this discussion in teh googles? I'm sure I'd facepalm at their headphone picks too.

Maybe in their eyes kamaka is the only hawaiian uke maker personally... we know better though..
gotta admit you have to give Kamaka credit for sticking it out when in the past when all others bailed out..
that was before Koo'lau and KoAloha.... well Koo'lau too...started....

I'm surprised that made it to press with such a glaring error.
This is common for online "articles". They no longer have to "make it to press"; they simply have to write a blurb that will get page views. Note this is one of those gallery articles where you have to click from one page to the next just to read a paragraph or two. They may run it through a spell-checker, but forget any fact checking or even grammatical checks.

I just got a Kamaka white label 8 string, and I gotta say it is one seriously cool uke. It looks like a custom, imperfect in a good way. It's my 2nd K .We know all the K's are each great in their own way. Let;s face it, most manistream media people wouldn't know a quality Hawaiian uke if it bit them on the posterior. good they;re mentioning them though.

Last edited:
I'm not. Proofreader/fact checker was one of my many past careers that somewhere along the line, some genius decided could be done more efficiently by a machine or an unpaid intern.

This is common for online "articles". They no longer have to "make it to press"; they simply have to write a blurb that will get page views. Note this is one of those gallery articles where you have to click from one page to the next just to read a paragraph or two. They may run it through a spell-checker, but forget any fact checking or even grammatical checks.

I'm sure you both are right. It just really sticks in my craw since I got my undergrad BA degree in journalism. Sigh.

I wonder if Joe Souza knows that not only is he not in Hawai'i, but he doesn't qualify as a Hawai'ian.

Or, maybe I ought to consider starting a class action lawsuit against Kanile'a, KoAloha, Ko'olau, G-String, I'iwi, Valley Made, and others for selling 'ukuleles under the false premise of their being Hawai'ian made.

It's sad when a so-called article is released by someone with absolutely no knowledge of what they're writing about.

Last edited:
No comment on his instrument, he is the owner so he should do whatever he want. But now I understand where his article calls Kamaka " the only" from... he's a marketing guy employed by Facebook. hehe...

I'm in trouble now. I just posted this as a comment to Kamaka Ukulele's Facebook post about the Hollywood Reporter article: "I LOVE my Kamakas, but how sloppy is the Hollywood Reporter to report that Kamaka is the ONLY Hawaiian ukulele? This probably comes as a surprise to KoAloha, Ko'olau, and the hundreds of ukulele luthiers on the islands."

I'm in trouble now. I just posted this as a comment to Kamaka Ukulele's Facebook post about the Hollywood Reporter article: "I LOVE my Kamakas, but how sloppy is the Hollywood Reporter to report that Kamaka is the ONLY Hawaiian ukulele? This probably comes as a surprise to KoAloha, Ko'olau, and the hundreds of ukulele luthiers on the islands."

Hmm didn't see your comment, actually there is no comment at all. Got deleted?

Top Bottom