PDA

View Full Version : Remarkably clean Martin Concert!! Seeing is Believing!

Ernie
02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
This uke has been SOLD! Thanks very much!
Ernie

WhenDogsSing
02-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Very nice indeedie...!!!

strumsilly
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
wow, MUST HAVE BEN IN A TIME CAPSULE. looks as clean as my KIWAYA.

WhenDogsSing
02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Does it come with a case? Also, have you read the sticky regarding selling ukuleles on the UU Marketplace? You should follow the guidelines therein.

SuzukHammer
02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
wow, MUST HAVE BEN IN A TIME CAPSULE. looks as clean as my KIWAYA.
I couldn't have said it better.

I had been waiting to buy a older Martin; but, finally did last week; so, I'm out of bullets right now.

I've never seen the purfing before on a Martin. It looks like tortoise shell.

WhenDogsSing
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I couldn't have said it better.

I had been waiting to buy a older Martin; but, finally did last week; so, I'm out of bullets right now.

I've never seen the purfing before on a Martin. It looks like tortoise shell.

It's a Style 1 concert.

Doc_J
02-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Wow!

If you're looking for a Vintage Style 1 Concert Martin, this has to be as good as it gets.

SuzukHammer
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna regret not being Warren Buffett.

stevepetergal
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Hmmmm......

mm stan
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I have this same model..is this a refinish?? looks to good to be original.. just wondering

uke552
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow-nicest I have seen...someone please grab it....

Ernie
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Nope- not a refinish, or a re-ANYthing! This one is all original. I do have a very clean vintage chipboard case that came with the uke when I bought it. I dont know if it is original or not. I forgot the case when I was taking the pictures! Maybe I'll add a pic the this thread.
Suzukhammer- I quite frequently regret not being Warren Buffet.
Whendogssing- I have read the guidelines when posting previously, but maybe I need to review them. How have I erred?

Markr1
02-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Where's the finish checking you normally see in an instrument that old? Not saying it is refinished but it sure looks perfect. If that finish is original then that is one nice uke you have there. Nicest looking Martin finish wise then I've seen in quite some time.

Doc_J
02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna regret not being Warren Buffett.

I'd be happy to be Jimmy Buffett :D

Hippie Dribble
02-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I'd be happy to be Jimmy Buffett :D

just show me the way to the Buffett doc, I'm hungry :drool:

misteruke
02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Nope- not a refinish, or a re-ANYthing! This one is all original. I do have a very clean vintage chipboard case that came with the uke when I bought it. I dont know if it is original or not. I forgot the case when I was taking the pictures! Maybe I'll add a pic the this thread.
Suzukhammer- I quite frequently regret not being Warren Buffet.
Whendogssing- I have read the guidelines when posting previously, but maybe I need to review them. How have I erred?

re: How have i erred?--Ernie, somebody got burned here or something, and now they want you to post a pic of the date, and your UU name with the instrument in one of the photos. I love this board, but I think that rule is a little overboard, not to mention how quickly someone always tells you that you are doing it wrong. Anyway, I've sold some stuff here before and after that rule took place--it is not that hard to comply, but everyone could be a little more welcoming, and understanding that not everyone lives and breathes on this site. I will vouch for you... I know Ernie is the real deal folks, as I have bought from him over on the FMM board. If it has been in Ernie's collection, you can bet it is nice. The Gibson tenor I got from him was one of my all time favorites. Then I got crazy, and sold it over here to fund some other uke purchase. I saw the same uke come up on Ebay a few years later, and I tried to buy it back, but it went for WAY more than I sold it to the person on UU...Good luck on the sale! If I were feeling like a collector, I'd snatch it up in a minute, but I have a mahogany concert that suits me already.

Ernie
02-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi misteruke- good to hear from you, and thanks for vouching for me.
I reread the guidelines, and it seems the note-with-the-photo thing is a suggestion, rather than a requirement. When I took the pics, it wasn't for this site in particular... Anyway, since I need to photograph the case, I can include a note with one of the pics.
Thanks again for chiming in, and for backing me up. Much appreciated!

dsummers
02-11-2012, 01:36 AM
I have a 1950'ish 1-C Martin and I thought mine was super clean, but this one tops mine in looks. If the action and sound is anything like mine, someone should grab this baby. I would ask more $'s if this were mine.

WhenDogsSing
02-11-2012, 01:52 AM
re: How have i erred?--Ernie, somebody got burned here or something, and now they want you to post a pic of the date, and your UU name with the instrument in one of the photos. I love this board, but I think that rule is a little overboard, not to mention how quickly someone always tells you that you are doing it wrong. Anyway, I've sold some stuff here before and after that rule took place--it is not that hard to comply, but everyone could be a little more welcoming, and understanding that not everyone lives and breathes on this site. I will vouch for you... I know Ernie is the real deal folks, as I have bought from him over on the FMM board. If it has been in Ernie's collection, you can bet it is nice. The Gibson tenor I got from him was one of my all time favorites. Then I got crazy, and sold it over here to fund some other uke purchase. I saw the same uke come up on Ebay a few years later, and I tried to buy it back, but it went for WAY more than I sold it to the person on UU...Good luck on the sale! If I were feeling like a collector, I'd snatch it up in a minute, but I have a mahogany concert that suits me already.

Didn't mean to upset anyone, just wanted to be sure it wasn't a scam. My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

Ernie
02-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Didn't mean to upset anyone, just wanted to be sure it wasn't a scam. My sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.
I'm not offended.
And I'm not a scammer. I've sold (and bought) many ukes over the years through the Fleamarket site, and am well known there... I've posted here and at Ukulele Cosmos as well... I guess I've bought more than I've sold, judging from my uke closet! I'm not a dealer- I just love ukuleles, am tirelessly curious about them, and want to experience as many as I can before I shuffle off this mortal coil (or to Buffalo, whichever comes first).

GalootNY
02-11-2012, 03:53 AM
I just want to say that I've purchased three ukes from Ernie and he's absolutely and totally on the up-and-up. If I had the money, that Martin would already be mine.

ukuleledaveey
02-11-2012, 04:07 AM
oooooooh so so so so so tempted:drool:

WhenDogsSing
02-11-2012, 04:30 AM
I'm not offended.
And I'm not a scammer. I've sold (and bought) many ukes over the years through the Fleamarket site, and am well known there... I've posted here and at Ukulele Cosmos as well... I guess I've bought more than I've sold, judging from my uke closet! I'm not a dealer- I just love ukuleles, am tirelessly curious about them, and want to experience as many as I can before I shuffle off this mortal coil (or to Buffalo, whichever comes first).

My apologies to you sir. And best of success to you in moving this fine piece on to another fellow ukulele lover, it sure is a nice example.

Stevelele
02-11-2012, 05:00 AM
It's impossible! I can't believe it--how was this thing preserved? I have ukuleles that are a couple of years old that are in worse condition. Who owned this thing for so many years? Wow!

rbeetsme
02-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Ernie, PM sent.

zac987
02-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Good lord. I wish I didn't care about my savings account.... :P

Dan Uke
02-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Good lord. I wish I didn't care about my savings account.... :P

I don't care about my savings account and that is why I don't have enough to buy this uke!!

ScooterD35
02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I wish I had a savings account...

Scooter

Ernie
02-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I wish I had a savings account...

Scooter- you and me both! (I have kids instead, which, it turns out, works quite the opposite).

It's impossible! I can't believe it--how was this thing preserved?
Syfc-I wonder the same thing when I come across a specimen like this. My style 1 soprano was in simar 'time capsule' condition when I got it, although I've put some wear on it over the years. I'm guessing it's one of those stories where someone bought it as a gift, and the recipient put it in the closet for decades? Still- I would expect dust, and humidity, and the occasion move to exact SOME toll on an instrument like this. That's what makes these finds so unusual, I guess.
GalootNY- thank you! It's good to hear from you!
Whendogssing- no worries! 8^)

mm stan
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I got a Kamaka White label tenor ..it's refinished by kamaka and in great condition..Koa neck... he he

Ernie
02-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Ha ha- tempting mm stan, but I rarely play my concerts and I NEVER play my tenor!
Just something about the Kamaka tiki concert that I sold years ago that I'm trying to recapture...

Ernie
02-11-2012, 02:14 PM
HThis vintage chipboard case came with the Martin when I acquired it, and will be included with the ukulele. It seems to be of the appropriate vintage, and may be original to the uke, but I do not know for sure. Very clean except for one cosmetic blemish, and some residual paper from a former label (can be removed, I expect).
In excellent structural condition. Thanks for looking!

Ernie
02-11-2012, 02:15 PM

SuzukHammer
02-11-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't know if I can hold out much longer.

Doc_J
02-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't know if I can hold out much longer.

I'm thinking maybe less than 24 hours. :)

SuzukHammer
02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
fingernails are dug into the linoleum as my body is being dragged to my wallet.

Stevelele
02-11-2012, 05:30 PM
someone please buy this before I do.

Tommy B
02-11-2012, 06:02 PM
LOL, I would have jumped in to vouch for Ernie, but he's a "member" on this board and I'm a "junior member," which means he outranks me. That would be like having your secretary write you a letter of recommendation. But Ernie's the real deal, and I have no doubt this uke is, too. As for its "time capsule" condition, this kind of preservation does happen less infrequently than one might think ... especially where you have moderate climates as on the California coast (where Ernie and I both live). As for anyone who's wondering whether to pull the trigger on this, just know that you're buying a solid investment. This uke will not depreciate if you take care of it. If you spent that money on a brand-new instrument, you probably couldn't say the same.

Just trying to get someone else to remove this temptation from me!

SuzukHammer
02-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I now know why I am sooo weak.

It turns out that i cut my nails too short and too frequently so I can play my ukes. This is like Kryptonite when you are trying to stop from being pulled to your wallet.

Its a slow motion horror film.

Stevelele
02-11-2012, 07:39 PM
you know you're going to do it, so just do it now!

I now know why I am sooo weak.

It turns out that i cut my nails too short and too frequently so I can play my ukes. This is like Kryptonite when you are trying to stop from being pulled to your wallet.

Its a slow motion horror film.

Ernie
02-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Ha ha! It's funny to see this from the other side of the sale (too frequently I am the one agonizing about such a purchase!)
I know very well the inexorable lure of a fine ukulele. If it helps, I believe I have a buyer for it...

SuzukHammer
02-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Ha ha! It's funny to see this from the other side of the sale (too frequently I am the one agonizing about such a purchase!)
I know very well the inexorable lure of a fine ukulele. If it helps, I believe I have a buyer for it...

This is good news indeed. Now, I can look my six-month old child in the eyes and speak about the college fund without twitching, flinching, or blinking excessively.

SuzukHammer
02-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Let us know if the deal fell through so i can put the squealing monkey on my back again.

Ernie
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
LOL! No, literally! I'm L'ing OL here!
Those last two posts are racking me up (probably because I can relate so closely)!

hmgberg
02-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I've been suffering in silence.

Ernie
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Annnnnnnnd SOLD! Thanks very much!

SuzukHammer
02-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I feel bittersweet now.

Somebody tell me that Life Goes On.

Stevelele
02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
whew--glad it's gone... very tempting

Student-of-Life
02-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Temptation removed !
And I was Tempted !

bigpoi789
02-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow I had a Martin concert too, but it was no where near that condition! Who ever bought it will be very pleased for sure!:)

Dan Uke
02-13-2012, 07:08 PM
LOCK the tread so we stop drooling and wondering what if. Thy should not covet thy neighbor's uke!!

Ernie
02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Roger that!