Reading Sheet Music- Humor

Just be happy no one's asking you to play this (which is, in fact, a 'real' piece of music that has been performed and recorded):

Attachments

• Score.jpg
    Score.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 164
I get that feeling whenever anyone asks me to "play something" in front of two or three people. All of a sudden, the hundreds of songs, improvisations, and cool little tricks I play around with all the time at my desk become a jumble of basic chords I cannot decipher for that moment - and I end up playing the same lick I've been showing off with for five years!

Those are all funny.

Anyone else feel like this? I saw this online and it's totally how I feel! Sure hope it gets better!

I feel the same way. It's amazing to me how the brain can "slow things down" with a little practice.

Here's my own attempt at sheet music humor from way back in my college days.

attachment.php

I minored in music in college, and I can read notation, but it's a slow, painful process. I started playing guitar long before that and always played by ear, and that's what I still prefer to do. And I can't read tab at all. I envy those who can sight-read notation and/or tab, but I don't have the attention span to really work on it myself.

I minored in music in college, and I can read notation, but it's a slow, painful process. I started playing guitar long before that and always played by ear, and that's what I still prefer to do. And I can't read tab at all. I envy those who can sight-read notation and/or tab, but I don't have the attention span to really work on it myself.

I think people who play by ear are using a different part(parts?) of their brain and I think it is genius at work. I read quite well, and can sometimes sightread something on clarinet almost perfectly... then never do it again. It weird. Been that way since high school. I would love to be able to play by ear.

I think people who play by ear are using a different part(parts?) of their brain and I think it is genius at work. I read quite well, and can sometimes sightread something on clarinet almost perfectly... then never do it again. It weird. Been that way since high school. I would love to be able to play by ear.

I don't know about genius (seriously, in my case) but I expect you're correct about using a different part of the brain. I've always been more comfortable with spatial orientation than linear. For example, geometry was a snap, but I had a tough time with algebra.

reading is a very useful thing, if you need to use it.

if you don't, it's useless.

PS: nobody actually "plays" sight-reading. sight reading is a skill, but in any case you'll find yourself in the situations of playing a never-seen-before part. the best you'll need is to read fast, so that you can learn and play a part in a small amount of time.

in an orchestra nobody is reading the sheet while playing, it's just there as a reminder, in case of a lack of memory or just to be sure.

Top Bottom