Baritone string help needed

strumsilly

Reaction score
I'm ready to try DGBE tuning on my bari again ,BUT, It is a vintage Gibson with friction tuners, so I'd like to keep the tension low. I had Southcoast linear tuned GCEA. It sounded good , but I have a tenor I'm going to use this tuning on, so I'm looking for something different.
I tried a set of worth nonwound CB strings. didn't like them. the D sounded muddy, like a rubber band. I not opposed to wound. Aquila makes a set with D&G wound. southcoast makes a set [G23] for A tuning on a bari.
Some use the top 4 of a classical set. I can get a set of D'ADDARIO EJ45 PRO-ARTE' CLASSICAL GUITAR STRINGS (.028-.043) for under $7 shipped online. anybody use these. since a guitar has a longer scale, is the tension much higher on a uke?
suggestions?

Last edited:
I like regular tuning on my baritones and have used many different brands of standard (DGBE) baritone strings. I like the lower tension of worth brown and clear strings, although I substitute a wound string for the 4th string in both sets. I have used a wound guitar G string and have pilfered wound strings from other baritone string sets.

I've never found the tension of any of the various baritone strings that I have used to be too high but Worth strings seem to have a lower tension than Aquila or Hilo sets..

The DGBE strings from a guitar set will be very low tension on the shorter Baritone scale- you could give them a try. Even the highest tensions should still be lower than standard Baritone strings (although even the highest tensions may still be too loose).

One alternative is our Heavy Gauge Ukulele set - gives a high reentrant DGBE with no wound strings.

thanks, but if I'm going to buy a set I don't want to start breaking other sets. so I guess you don't like worths D either.

The DGBE strings from a guitar set will be very low tension on the shorter Baritone scale- you could give them a try. Even the highest tensions should still be lower than standard Baritone strings (although even the highest tensions may still be too loose).

One alternative is our Heavy Gauge Ukulele set - gives a high reentrant DGBE with no wound strings.
thanks, but I want a low 4th.

I tried a set of the worth unwound 3rd and 4th Baritone http://elderly.com/accessories/items/WSBB.htm

They weren't the sound I was looking for but they were very mellow. I was looking for more projection as I play with a mic and no pickup.

I used to use Aquilas on the 1st and 2nd with either GHS 100s for the 3rd and 4th or D'addario J68's for the 3rd and 4th. I liked the projection of the GHS 3/4 since they were Phosphor Bronze.

I got tired of the squeek from the Aquilas, now I switched to D'Addario J68's on 1-4. I might try their titanium stings next. EJ87B

I just put the T-2's with the wound G on a tenor. the verdict is still out, but they sound good. The first string kept breaking as I got it up to pitch, do I subbed one from another set . no problems. must have been a bad string. I got them from Big City String. maybe they'll send a replacement.

Top Bottom