Tablet Music Stand

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
We have a Gig this Thursday of all Elvis tunes, I don't have enough time to learn them all (I know 5) so I decided to just play from sheet music. I bought my wife an inexpensive 8" Coby tablet for Xmas so I made a stand for it and wrote up all the songs with Arial 20 font in Word and saved it as a PDF. I display the file with the ALDIKO e-reader software the table came with (android OS).

I made this tablet holder that fits on a mic stand. It looks like it will work OK. I think it be easier and less obtrusive than bringing a music stand, book and light (we are playing outside at night). I'll hang our band sign on it to further disguise it.

I ordered a cheap $10 programmable foot pedal (USB cord) off ebay to advance the pages. In case it doesn't get here in time all the songs are one to a page.

stand 1.JPG stand 2.JPG stand 3.JPG stand 4.JPG

Congrats on nice woodworking Ukuleleblues, last fall one of the guys in the group had a Samsung Galaxy tablet with the music but whenever I tried to read from my position it was all too small for my old eyeballs. I think if you are right in front of it then it is certainly a good idea. I think he advanced the pages just by the finger touch on the pad.

Last edited:
Congrats on nice woodworking Ukuleleblues, last fall one of the guys in the group had a Samsung Galaxy tablet with the music but whenever I tried to read from my position it was all too small for my old eyeballs. I think if you are right in front of it then it is certainly a good idea. I think he advanced the pages just by the finger touch on the pad.

We are a duo and we put the tablet between us...tried the set out tonight and it seemed OK. A lot of the Elvis songs are 1 4 5s with a 2 thrown in once in a while so it's not too bad. Got to fix the timeout on the tablet...went out in the middle of a song. I hate playing from sheet music because mistakes are a disaster cause you can't adlib/recover as well, but 145s are OK.

I've been using an iKlip on a mic stand for my iPad music stand and this type of route works really well. I spent the money and got a blutooth foot switch, mainly because I didn't want a cord coming off the iPad that I could easily kick or pull out when needed during a show.

We are a duo and we put the tablet between us...tried the set out tonight and it seemed OK. A lot of the Elvis songs are 1 4 5s with a 2 thrown in once in a while so it's not too bad. Got to fix the timeout on the tablet...went out in the middle of a song. I hate playing from sheet music because mistakes are a disaster cause you can't adlib/recover as well, but 145s are OK.
Old songs that are in my memory bank are fine it's when I screw up after we start the new stuff in the 80's and 90's. HaHa! Fiddle player is Boss.........D G A7.......or you don't come back Ya hear me.

Beautiful, elegant and brilliant idea. I love the idea of the band name in front.

You may see something similar at an upcoming Uncle Elvis show!

Here is the footpedal I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/130508869083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'll also use this for a couple of the shows we do that give background to the songs we play. This year we are doing a pre-wwII jazz standards show. I can put the history and facts on this tablet and it will allow me to look more natural rather than having a sheet of crumnpled up paper I pull out of my pocket to read from or chase across the stage when it's windy. We've got the songs memorized but it's nice to have prompts for the background.

Just picked up the wood and now ready to assemble my own tablet music stand. Thanks for the idea. How did that foot pedal work?

I got the pedal in yesterday and I can't figure out the sequence to program next page. I need to hook a keyboard to the tablet and start experimenting. I'l do that monday. Other than that we've played with it twice live and it works great.

Just picked up the wood and now ready to assemble my own tablet music stand. Thanks for the idea. How did that foot pedal work?
I got the foot pedal to work today. I attached a USB keyboard to the tablet and tried different key combos (I first searched the web but could not find any info that helped). I discovered that (SHIFT) (-) worked for forward. The shift and minus key went forward and Shift and Plus went backwards.

To program the pedal you load the software (comes on a mini disk) on your PC, attach the pedal to the PC's USB and enter the keys strokes and save. (I attached a screen shot of the software with instructions.) You then just plug the pedal into the tablet.

You can hook multiple pedals if use use a cheap USB hub. I might get another and mount both on a board for page forward and page back.

pedal.JPG

I've been using an iKlip on a mic stand for my iPad music stand and this type of route works really well. I spent the money and got a blutooth foot switch, mainly because I didn't want a cord coming off the iPad that I could easily kick or pull out when needed during a show.

I just just purchased the iKlip2 after comparing several iPad holders. I ended up purchasing it from my area Guitar Center since I had a $25.00 gift card to use. The cost was $39.99 which was less than others I Looked at. I have it mounted to my On-Stage Microphone stand which so far works well. My only complaint and it is an after-thought warning that was printed on a small separate piece of paper insterted into the instructions is that the clips used to hold the iPad damage any screen protector as it is slid into position. Thankfully I am using an older iPad2 that I have specifically for this use, but Inwould have been bothered if it damaged a new iPad and screen protector.

Nice work! Re that programable foot petal. Can you tell me what sort and if they work with iPads?

I just just purchased the iKlip2 after comparing several iPad holders. I ended up purchasing it from my area Guitar Center since I had a $25.00 gift card to use. The cost was $39.99 which was less than others I Looked at. I have it mounted to my On-Stage Microphone stand which so far works well. My only complaint and it is an after-thought warning that was printed on a small separate piece of paper insterted into the instructions is that the clips used to hold the iPad damage any screen protector as it is slid into position. Thankfully I am using an older iPad2 that I have specifically for this use, but Inwould have been bothered if it damaged a new iPad and screen protector.

I haven't checked the new iKlip, but I ended up upgrading my iPad from the 2 to the iPad Air 2 in January, so my current iKlip was given away. I have found though, that the smart cover that you can get works really well on metal music stands, as the magnets on it affix the iPad nicely to the stand.

Very cool ideas here. I really need to go digital...

Top Bottom